Seller's References - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 02-12-2003, 09:32 PM   #1
ms_terese
Seller's References

As a seller, I believe it's beneficial to have references. Some questions:

1) How many animals should you have sold a person before they qualify as a decent reference? (As a buyer, I wouldn't be too impressed if someone told me that they bought one cornsnake and it turned out great.)

2) How recent must sales be to that person for them to be considered a "valid" reference? (Especially if that one cornsnake was 3 years ago.)

3) Is giving out an email address sufficient, or should a reference be willing to have a personal phone number be given out? (My concern is that, with some of the reactions I've seen, I'd hate for a good reference to start being harrassed by an unhappy customer.)

4) How many references would you normally give out to a potential customer?

I guess I'm asking......how do you guys handle it?

Old 02-12-2003, 10:39 PM   #2
JungleHabitats
My Reply...

Well heres my .02 for what good it is ...

The way I see it is this way , If you are a " newby" to the trade then IMHO it almost puts you behind the eightball before you get a good foothold in this buisness .Now far as " how many refferences make you a " good guy " in this buisness is questionable... I think if you are new to the trade and you have sold one snake etc or ten of them and all went well then I think that would say "hey there pretty good people". EVERYBODY starts somewhere.

Quote:
1) How many animals should you have sold a person before they qualify as a decent reference? (As a buyer, I wouldn't be too impressed if someone told me that they bought one cornsnake and it turned out great.)
in saying that it would almost definately rule out every person in this buisness because of the fact we all start somewhere!!!

Quote:
2) How recent must sales be to that person for them to be considered a "valid" reference? (Especially if that one cornsnake was 3 years ago.)
this is more difficult to answer in a sense , some people may not sale dozens , hundreds or even several hundred a year to have a deep client base of refferences.

Quote:
3) Is giving out an email address sufficient, or should a reference be willing to have a personal phone number be given out? (My concern is that, with some of the reactions I've seen, I'd hate for a good reference to start being harrassed by an unhappy customer.)
I would say yes to giving out a email ONLY if the buyer of that email allows you to do so , IMO its the polite thing to do .as we know MANY of us will simply delete a unknown email of a sender esp w/o any header as to what it is .Now with a phone number ... well thats again would be on your past buyers to ok and them only.

If you look at peoples refferences like a refferal to a car dealer ,, some people may only buy from a said breeder once or once every few years , now that does not mean this breeder is not up to par for not having a list of people to hand out for a buyer , but i would look more into the "quaility" of there transaction ( promptness of the seller returning emails or a phone call to you. , follow up after the sale , shipping promptness and quailty of the package and arrival to the buyer and readiness to offer information on what you are buying )

.... wow I typed all that !! I need to rest now lol hope it was of some use

( I have only sold 5-6 snakes in 2 years , mainly because I really go overboard in the shipping process . OVERKILL costs me lol )

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!