"Micro Gecko" - Species ID, caresheets? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-03-2005, 12:38 AM   #1
squeeker
"Micro Gecko" - Species ID, caresheets?

Hello!

3 weeks ago I purchased an "Egyptian Micro Gecko". He's about an inch long. I've been trying to figure out exactly what species he is, and based on what I've found on the internet (which isn't much!) I believe him to be either Tropiocolotes tripolitanus or Tropiocolotes steudneri. I've not been able to find reliable caresheets on either species, and the photos I've found on the net of both species look similar, but still different from mine. My little guy is of the same basic body shape of the other Tripolitanus, but his colors are very vivid! He's a very prominent peachy-pink with blue splotches.

I've currently got this guy set up in a 3 gallon Kritter Keeper, with the hot side at ~90F, cool side ~75F, paper towel for substrate, and hides, water dish, etc. similar to how I keep my Leopard gecko. He (?) is eating ~8 pinhead crickets a week; last night he ate 10 baby mealworms. Today I added a moist hide, but he hasn't used it. He's super active, and doesn't appear to be completely nocturnal.

If anyone could point me in the direction of a good caresheet, that would be great. Also, has anyone here kept these guys? Anything I should do differently? Info RE: humidity, calcium/vitamins, lighting?

Here's a picture of "Jaws", with a penny to show scale. His back isn't crooked, that's just the way he's standing...

Thanks!
Attached Images

Old 11-06-2005, 07:23 AM   #2
neatochickens27
Wow he is tiny.Dont know of a care sheet but as long as hes eating and doing alright looks like youve made your own caresheet!Good luck with him.

-dave

Old 11-06-2005, 10:41 AM   #3
squeeker
Thanks, Dave!

Old 11-06-2005, 04:37 PM   #4
coyote
I had a Sphaerodactylus macrolepis from Puerto Rico for a time.
He was a delight.

I think the Sphaerodactylus was even smaller than the one you have. They are also called the Eye Spot Gecko.

I was not able to find any captive husbandry information. I took my husbandry cues from the natural history of the gecko. Since the Sphaerodactylus live in leaf litter, I kept him in a well planted vivarium WITH HIGH SIDES so he couldn't easily run out when the top was opened. I sprayed for humidity, fed dusted fruit flies, pinhead crickets and very tiny silk worms and meal worms. I used a low watt fluorescent UVB for light, light cycle and heat.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!