Jamaican Boas Breeding - Page 41 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-26-2015, 08:33 AM   #401
cguarino30
Update for last night.

H5 and H6 ate the plain quail chicks, which is no big surprise. E3 also ate the plain quail chick, though, so hopefully, that's done.

H3 did not eat the plain quail chick. I haven't decided if I'll try the plain one again next week, or go back to the quail/knee combo. I might give it one more try, as these are fairly large meals, and H3 may just not have been hungry.

H2 and H4 did not eat, so I'm putting them back on chick thighs.

E2 ate one of the pinkies, and I'm pretty sure it was the unscented one. I swear this guy is just trying to think of ways to mess with me. I will be trying only unscented next week.

T3 ate her usual fuzzie.

N2 ate the scented pinkie, N4 did not.

T4, N1, and N3 all ate their chick thighs, but did not eat their scented pinkies. No big surprises there, but it's good to know that they have all had a meal.

Old 07-03-2015, 08:11 AM   #402
cguarino30
Another feeding update:

E3, H3, H5, and H6 all ate f/t unaltered quail chicks with no issues. Looks like these guys are switched over. It appears that once they get to the right size, one or two feedings with the chicken knee trick is more than enough to get them to switch.

H2 and H4 ate three chick thighs each. As these two are the smallest of the holdbacks, I assume it was a size issue preventing the switchover. I will continue to feed chick thighs for some time, and then will try quail chicks again.

E2 was offered an unscented pinkie and declined. I will probably try unscented again next week, but if that is refused, will try scented only.

T3 ate the unscented fuzzie.

T4 was offered 2 chick thighs and declined.

N1 and N3 were also offered 2 chick thighs each and ate both.

N2 and N4 were offered pinkies scented with chick innards. N2 declined. N4 ate. I'll try to get some new pictures up this coming week.

Old 07-03-2015, 04:44 PM   #403
Snakesitter
Reading all these notes, I'm impressed by one fact over all others: you clearly need to hire a personal chef. ;-)

Old 07-03-2015, 05:01 PM   #404
cguarino30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakesitter View Post
Reading all these notes, I'm impressed by one fact over all others: you clearly need to hire a personal chef. ;-)
But then what would I do all day?

Old 07-04-2015, 11:27 PM   #405
certTEAMmitch
WOW I really enjoyed that read,, I'm hoping to own one one day

Old 07-04-2015, 11:31 PM   #406
cguarino30
Quote:
Originally Posted by certTEAMmitch View Post
WOW I really enjoyed that read,, I'm hoping to own one one day
Thanks. I am really glad so many people are interested in this thread. Drop me a line whenever you're ready. I plan to work with this species for the foreseeable future. I've kept countless species of animals and these are by far the most rewarding program I've ever been a part of.

Old 07-04-2015, 11:47 PM   #407
certTEAMmitch
Do you have a Facebook or site where I can keep in touch

Old 07-05-2015, 08:24 AM   #408
cguarino30
Quote:
Originally Posted by certTEAMmitch View Post
Do you have a Facebook or site where I can keep in touch
No, but I can pm you my email.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:26 AM   #409
cguarino30
Another feeding update:

I had 7 quail chicks left in the bag, so I decided to give H2 and H4 another shot. I gave them each a chick thigh and a quail chick. H4 ate the thigh only, but H2 ate both, so I will try a quail chick alone with H2 next week.

All other holdbacks ate their quail chick with the exception of H3 who declined. I'm not overly concerned about this, though, since H3 is a male, and these quail chicks are sizable meals.

T3 ate the usual fuzzie.

E2 was offered an unscented fuzzie and declined. I think I will try a scented one, or a thigh/pinkie combo next week.

T4, N1, and N3 were offered a thigh and a decapitated pinkie (I had a bunch of decapitated pinks because I needed the heads for some baby house snakes, and figured I might as well try those). The thigh was eaten, and the pinkie was not.

N2 and N4 were offered two of the decapitated pinkies. N2 did not eat either, but I'm fairly certain that N4 ate one of them. I can only find one in the tub, and there is a very slight bulge in N4's stomach. It's hard to tell, though, as it would have been a very small meal. I will try unscented again next week for N4, and possibly for N2 as well.

Old 07-09-2015, 02:19 PM   #410
scaledverts
I have to say Chris that this thread is quickly becoming the gold standard for how to breed Jamaican Boas and more importantly how to raise the babies. I know it has been quite useful to me with the three that I got from you just over 3 months ago.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!