Who Should Make the Big Move? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

View Poll Results: Which Sex Should Move Enclosures When Courting Your Snakes?
The Male should be moved to the Female's Enclosure. 30 88.24%
The Female should be moved to the Male's Enclosure. 6 17.65%
They should Both be moved to a new Enclosure. 1 2.94%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-18-2009, 01:41 PM   #1
Heart and Soul Reptiles
Question Who Should Make the Big Move?

Alright...
I've heard tons of opinions on courting your snakes, But I've always wanted to know what wins as the decisions to move your female to the males cage, or vise-versa.

I've heard good arguments for both sides of the spectrum, the two biggest being:

The Male should move to the Female's enclosure, because the Male seeks the Female in the wild.

The other, The Female should move to the Male's enclosure because the Male will breed sooner if he doesn't have to adjust to a new environment.

And then there's the select few who move them both to a new enclosure entirely!

So.. lets get down to buisness, what really is the favored method for courting your snakes?
I'm curious to find out and hear you're opinions as well, so feel free to post your opinions and favored methods!

Thanks for you're time!

Kind Regards,

Kylie Rae
Heart and Soul Reptiles

Old 01-18-2009, 01:45 PM   #2
Mooing Tricycle
i just put the males in with the females....

Its just the way ive always been told, i never really questioned why, but, i guess ive had some decent success doing it this way So i wont complain!

Old 01-19-2009, 12:38 PM   #3
AbsoluteApril
I've only bred boas but I take both snakes out into a temp. holding tub for about 30 min, then put the male into the female's enclosure for about an hour then introduce the female back in. Worked great so far.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:41 PM   #4
Miss Tuniwha
I personally don't move the females.. Mostly in fear that they will stress and not breed. I am new, and could just be paranoid also :P

but I just hop the male around..

Old 01-19-2009, 02:31 PM   #5
shrap
Whatever gets them breeding....

Old 01-19-2009, 11:51 PM   #6
zipzagger
Put them in a neutral area, like out in your yard when the sun is shining, let them crawl around in the grass together, and see who chases who. Its usually the male following the female around believe it or not (LOL). I can count my snakes on one hand so maybe I don't know anything, but I know my male bullsnake has got the hots for my Northern Pine female, and I don't care about what anybody thinks, I am not selling the babies if they happen.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:16 AM   #7
The Python Lab

I must admit I am new to ball pythons. but i followed common instructions and placed the male in the females area. As far as the male having to get used to new surroundings before mating... That took all of about 30-45 minutes.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
courting snakes