? About Lay Box Substrate - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-28-2006, 12:30 PM   #1
BalloonzForU
? About Lay Box Substrate

I've used moss last year (my first year) and was planning on using Bed a Beast this year.

My question is does anyone put anything under the substrate? I had a female lay two eggs, when I don't know, I just found them in her moist hide. She didn't seem to be ready yet, so I was not check all the time. I don't think they are fertile, first eggs from her, but they are in the incubator just in case. But she dug so deep down that one of them stuck to the bottom of the container. I carefully wet it a little and got it free. But I was thinking if I had put paper towels at the bottom I could have just cut the paper towel and leave it(paper towel) attached. Does any one do this or something like it?

Old 01-28-2006, 02:14 PM   #2
The NY Gecko
i used bed a beast. its good but can be a real pain if it gets wet. cuz mold wil lgrow quickly on it. mine tipped over the bowl and it got moldy one weekend i wasnt home. i use carpeting now and prolly always will. so simple. no more particulate matter for me thanks

Old 01-28-2006, 02:30 PM   #3
Valerie
Quote:
Originally Posted by The NY Gecko
i used bed a beast. its good but can be a real pain if it gets wet. cuz mold wil lgrow quickly on it. mine tipped over the bowl and it got moldy one weekend i wasnt home. i use carpeting now and prolly always will. so simple. no more particulate matter for me thanks
How did it mold? Bed a beast is made to get wet, and we use it in our many of our moist hides/lay boxes. We have yet to see any mold what so ever.

Felicia, I actually thought of doing the same thing after one of our clutches was laid on the bottom of a tub and we had issues getting them unstuck. I'm curious to see if that'll work.

Old 01-28-2006, 02:40 PM   #4
The NY Gecko
i have no clue. it was soaked where one of my geckos had tipped over the waterbowl when i was away for 2 days. it got moldy and i threw it out

Old 01-28-2006, 03:01 PM   #5
BalloonzForU
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie
Felicia, I actually thought of doing the same thing after one of our clutches was laid on the bottom of a tub and we had issues getting them unstuck. I'm curious to see if that'll work.

I think I'm going to try it. I don't think it could hurt to just line it with paper towels. It's better then damaging eggs trying to unstick them from the bottom of the container. I guess we'll see how it works.

Old 01-28-2006, 03:03 PM   #6
surfrkidts
I agree with val that it is highly unlikely bed a beast would mold, even in a two day period. either its not bed a beast, or some other environmental condition caused the molding. Getting it wet is what it's made for

Old 01-28-2006, 03:04 PM   #7
surfrkidts
sorry, that was supposed to be "especially in a two day period"

Old 01-28-2006, 09:36 PM   #8
TripleMoonsExotic
I use orchid moss for my laying boxes and then switch the eggs over to vermiculite for incubation. I haven't had problems with these two molding. I think your papertowel suggestion very well might solve your problem.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!