Are two 30-44 gram rates enough for an adult bull? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pituophis & Drymarchon Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-21-2010, 01:08 PM   #1
Stevefromsd
Are two 30-44 gram rates enough for an adult bull?

I like how he has no problem swallowing them in less than 5 minutes.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:14 PM   #2
Stevefromsd
Sorry. They are 20-29 grams.

Old 03-22-2010, 03:21 AM   #3
Utta
how big is your adult bull? post a pic of him/her next to say a quarter or dollar and one of you holding him to show his girth as well.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:22 PM   #4
Stevefromsd
He's a little longer now. That was last summer.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:38 PM   #5
Utta
nice Bull. he looks like he could take a small rat (dont know the weight of a small one, but a small rat shouldnt be a problem)

Old 03-24-2010, 03:26 AM   #6
StrictlyExotics
Tyler, I think what Steve is asking is if its enough food

Steve when he takes down two of them, does he seem active still? If so, I dont think it would to give him one more.

Old 03-24-2010, 04:00 AM   #7
Utta
oh, ok.

as Dean said, if he is still active and looking for more food, throw another one at him.

Old 03-24-2010, 04:57 AM   #8
hhmoore
A bull will that size will eat multiple weanling rats, and still look for more...that doesn't mean you should feed them that way. Like with many things in this hobby, the question of how big, how much, and how often to feed will get you almost as many different answers as respondants. I feed my adult bulls mice, rats of various sizes (pinks to mediums), hamsters, gerbils, ASFs...basically, whatever I have in the freezers that I don't deem too big for them. I don't like giving them large prey items, but that doesn't mean I give them a bunch of small ones.
I generally only give one or two prey items per feeding (well, unless I'm giving rat pinks to a 6 ft adult...then I throw them a handful - just like they would get if they came across a nest). I also don't hold to a set feeding schedule. I might shoot for a 10 day interval, but go 14 days one time, and 5 the next...and if I have extra stuff defrosted from other feedings, well, a bullsnake is one of the most likely recipients.
Two weanling rats is a small meal for a good sized bull; but, if those meals are coming regularly, they'll be sufficient. If the bull is maintaining good body weight, don't worry too much about it...if it starts looking thin, increases the feeding. (Another sure clue is when they shoot out of the enclosure like a mouth opened rocket, lol)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!