My billsnake is suddenly all pissed off. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pituophis & Drymarchon Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-04-2009, 04:40 PM   #1
Stevefromsd
My billsnake is suddenly all pissed off.

I've had a captive bred Stillwater Bullsnake for about a year now. When I got him he was about 2.5 ft long and now he is 5 ft long. I never had any problem holding him. I even did a talk on snakes with him and other people were able to hold him without any problem. Now he is hissing when I try and pick him up. He doesn't bite, but he wasn't even hissing before. He is eating fine and isn't sick. Has anyone else had this happen where their Bullsnake was friendly and suddenly became more aggressive? My bedroom is 78-80 because it is so hot out. Is it possible that is what is going on? Or are there any other possibilities? I keep him with two Rosy Boas but he has always been in the same cage as them.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:21 AM   #2
Stevefromsd
Bump...

Old 08-08-2009, 10:34 PM   #3
Hypancistrus
If I was being forced to cohabitate with two other folks I didn't want to cohabitate with, I'd be pissed off too.

Food for thought....

Old 08-14-2009, 12:07 AM   #4
Stevefromsd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypancistrus View Post
If I was being forced to cohabitate with two other folks I didn't want to cohabitate with, I'd be pissed off too.

Food for thought....
I put the Rosy Boas in a separate cage for now to see if it makes a difference. The Bullsnake is even hissing now but it still lets me pick it up.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:59 AM   #5
Mooing Tricycle
Separate all the snakes into their own enclosures.

Bullsnakes do hiss. Its just how they are. Make sure your hot and cool spots are in the appropriate ranges, and reduce the stress on the animal by leaving him/her alone for awhile.

Old 08-30-2009, 12:35 PM   #6
Stevefromsd
I think I figured out that the reason my Bullsnake was getting so ornery is because he didn't like how hot it was getting. My bedroom gets up to 84 degrees in the summer. In a month it will cool off a lot.

Old 08-30-2009, 01:01 PM   #7
Mooing Tricycle
Did you ever separate these animals? Snakes can, and do eat eachother, and its very possible this animal is stressed out. Not hard to do with bulls.

Old 08-31-2009, 01:44 AM   #8
Stevefromsd
I put the Rosy Boas in another cage.

Old 08-31-2009, 01:50 AM   #9
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevefromsd View Post
I put the Rosy Boas in another cage.
Separate them into, each, their own enclosures too. Your snakes will thank you, and you will have healthier snakes because of it.

Make sure all your humidty/temps are correct, and just leave the bull be for a week. Change the water as need be, but otherwise, just see if he calms down a bit.

Sometimes they dont. Its just bullsnakes nature to be hissy, and big bluffers.

Old 11-22-2009, 02:44 AM   #10
gofrwrd
i have several bulls. One does a bit of hissing half the time but always hissing and retreating. Never a strike. Such a big bluffer.Once picked up, very cool. They all have a tendency for the cooler side of the cage (all are housed separately) most of the time, even when I feel chilly in the evening.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!