Starting a herp shop in Tampa Bay need help - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 05-21-2003, 11:48 AM   #21
WebSlave
Time to turn this discussion back to the original topic and AWAY from discussions about pariticular people or businesses. It is NOT appropriate in this particular forum.

That is what the BOI is for. But even then, I believe being more tactful may be in order.

Old 05-24-2003, 12:51 AM   #22
Glenn Bartley
In the words of Charlie Brown, of Peanuts fame: "arrrrrrrrgh. This is getting very deep. But to keep it on topic, I just don't understand how you can expect to open your reptile museum/zoo/pet shop without the proper cash flow to keep it running. Money makes the world go round, and round and round, etc...

All the things you want to do with this shop will cost big bucks. While you may think this is being negative, I think people are being pretty positive with you - positively trying to keep you from scrrewing up your life by going at this half cocked, and uderfunded. You asked for the advice, now why not listen to those who gave it to you and try to fugure out how to run this business with enough capital to keep it running let alone making a profit. Note I said let alone because you keep saying you don't want to make a profit; but I think you will find it will be hard just breaking even to pay the bills.

Check witht the US Dept. Of Commerce for assistance with starting a business, and to find out if the gov't. will toss you a bone in the form of some cash, grants, low interest loans to help you. Your disability may be a big an asset in that department, so why not use what your lot to your advantage.

Old 06-02-2003, 02:35 AM   #23
Ken Foose
Petstore/museum/cashflow

Ok, I don't jump in here much, but here it is for what it's worth. I left the zoo field many years ago to open my own reptile display/museum. I had the idea that I could make a good living displaying herps, and have some fun too. I had great fun, and no money. I was able to borrow some bucks from a relative, and off I went. Funny thing to learn along the way, my admission price did not pay the bills. I only charged a buck, and thought this would make me rich, since the town I set up in had over 3 million visitors a year, and I figured I would get at least half of them. This never happened. I got 100 people a day at best, more like 20 people a day on average. I had a little gift shop, made me some money there. I finally tore down the display, turned the whole building into a gift shop, and made a fortune. So much for my zoo. After about 10 years, I decided it was time to put my zoology degree to better use again, I sold my store, and openned a pet store instead. I put it in Henderson NV, because there was no pet store there. I vowed to only sell captive bred animals, stick almost totaly to herps, and I would do great. Turns out the reason there is no store in Henderson, is that there is no clientel for such a business in Henderson. I slowly, but surely, went broke. I lost almost everything, house, car, land, money, it was the pits indeed. Bankruptcy followed soon after. I was able to buy back my store from the court over time, and that took me years to do. I moved my store to Las Vegas before I filed, and that is the only thing that saved me. My customer following grew, and my attitude changed. I payed back all my creditors, and changed my inventory. I added mammals, birds, and all the stuff you need to keep them. Las Vegas is too small a town to sell just herps, you are bound to fail if you try it here. I'm sure that is the same for most other towns too. Let's face facts, less then 4% of the pet owning public own herps. That is just not a big enough percentage to make a viable living. I now have a staff of 3, I work almost 7 days a week, work at home until late at night on my breeders, and take care of internet business to boot. I have a net income of over $100,000 a year at this time, and I work my butt off to get it. My advice to you if you want to start up a store or display is simple. Get some capital together first, or you are doomed. Get the right attitude that you are in this to make a living, or you are doomed. I'm not saying get rich, I'm not saying that the dollar rules you, but you had better at least make ends meet to pay the bills. I have been there. I have been poor, got rich, lost it all, got very poor, and slowly, over the last 7 years have gained most of it back again. It takes determination, lots of work, long hours, and a bit of luck. I have even looked into openning a store in the Tampa area myself. No way I would make it there, too many shops, too many dealers and breeders. And, from what I have seen on this site, stay clear of the "local experts", I'm not too impressed. Tour around the country, talk to other pet store owners from other areas, both the successful ones, and the ones that are not doing too well, or have failed. Learn from thier mistakes. Then ask yourself if this is what you really want to do. Then ask yourself if this is really what you are capable of doing. There is a difference. Sorry so long.
Ken Foose
Owner, Exotic Pets, Las Vegas NV

Old 06-02-2003, 12:02 PM   #24
Glenn Bartley
Quote:
She turned me into a newt.....I got better
But how do you know she turned you into a newt?

Sorry I just could not resist!

Old 06-02-2003, 04:58 PM   #25
Ken Foose
Newt.....

Glen, I know I was a newt. I only pee in swimming pools, and I have a distinct after-taste of old bloodworms in my mouth. Strange but true. Take care.
Ken Foose

Old 06-02-2003, 05:30 PM   #26
Glenn Bartley
ROTFLMAO.

Old 06-06-2003, 01:21 AM   #27
Mickey_TLK
What better subject then this to make my return.

I opened my own shop in Omaha NE nearly 8 years ago with $2000 and my breeders. The plan was to be the only herp only shop in town. I offered many species never seen in the town, and had a rather good draw to start. But as previously noted, after the 20-40 die hard local herpers had been in a few times, realized they couldnt afford panther chameleons, frilled dragons, rainbow uromastyx, ect they started asking for ball pythons and iggies. I was against selling theese "pet shop" animals, and soon found my bills to be more than my income. I slowly added my imported pet shop animals, and due to poor supply, shipping, ect found that to be a disaster. Finally the nail in my shops coffin was a Burglary just prior to the christmas season, right after my largest order had arrived. Obviously I had no insurance, and all was lost.

I mention the Burglary because from what I know of the Tampa area this is a real issue. A large number of the reptile thefts you hear of happen in Tampa, allthough as my experince shows they happen everywhere. In fact I think its more likely to happen if you deal in higher end exotics, as some herpers would rather steal an expensive animal then pay for it.

Also at the time I had no knowladge of the internet having never been on the web. I had several friends tell me to get a computer, and how it would help my business. In hindsight they may have been right, but its a double edged sword. Many people who would purchase quality reptiles are well aware of the web, and the readily available herp trade via mail.

Next you have to deal with the LARGE number of quality shows in the Tampa area, let alone the state of florida. Many of the die hard herp nuts in the area wait months and save just to spend it at the show(s). Ive done a number of shows in Tampa/ Florida and noticed that a large number of the people attending the shows were the same people every show. Many would travel the state to attend shows monthly/ weekly. Theese are the same people who frequent the shops, and I mean shopS in the area.
I went to atleast 8 pet/herp shops within 2 hrs of Tampa last time I visited. Granted most were nothing special, or down right discusting, but arent most in every town.

And you cant forget that florida is the import capital (I would assume) of the country for reptiles. If you spit in the wind youre likely to hit a Reptile Farm. Granted they dont sell to the public (exept at the bigger shows) but they supply a large number of animals to the trade locally at very low prices. This leads to a number of "house shops". Friends of the importer who broker animals to pay the bills. 100 balls here, 50 boas there.

As many other people have stated, I would think long and hard about a shop in tampa, or anywhere on a low budget. After my shop, I did shows for a few years, had alot of friends who helped me out, paid my bills, and worked my tail off. I often drove 27 hr each way to do shows alone, and still had to work a 60-80 hr week at home to care for all the animals between shows. This took a great toll on my relationship with my wife, friends, and family. Theese are all things to consider before opening a shop to "help the provide quality animals" to a public that often wants replaceable pets.

Mickey Hinkle
The Lizard King Reptiles (Retired)
Omaha NE

P.S. Glad to be back around all you reptile nuts.

Old 07-07-2004, 01:01 AM   #28
Dante' Regius
Jeremy, I work with the Herp Hobby Shop of Oldsmar, Hillsboro County. And I'm assuming that you've never been into my store. Considering that you feel all the pet store's only sell common lizards. We breed our own snakes (Boas,Pythons,Colubrids) and Bearded Dragons, and geckos, and alot more. So I'm slightly insulted that you feel we aren't "up there" when it comes to quality reptiles. When you're takeing advice from Neil, who's had to shut the Snake Pit's doors. We are a fairly successful Retail, wholesale, reptile breeding shop. Stop on by, I'll give you a tour and offer you some good advice and show you how we play (and beat the competition, Snake Pit, Amazon Reptiles, Cage It, to name a few)

Old 07-07-2004, 02:23 AM   #29
Mickey_TLK
How are things going down at the Herp Hobby Shop theese days?

I was watching the news the other night, and noticed Florida had one of the largest declines in spendable income over the last year, at over -7%. Have you guys noticed a lull in customers spending cash?

I only ask as my buddy is driving down for the Orlando show this week, and Im trying to decide what animals to send. I have a feeling money could be as tight there as it is around this part of the country.

Also hows the season going for you guys productions wise?

Lastly send me a list, have seen one from you guys in years.

Old 07-07-2004, 09:06 AM   #30
Dante' Regius
Things are good, at the Shop. Having some good clutches this year. Really, I havn't noticed a change in spending. The rats,mice,and crickets are still our main point of sales. It's in wholesale that we do most of our snake selling. We will not be attending the Orlando show this year (it filled up to quickly). But we are going to be at Daytona.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!