this is where our conversation belongs - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 07-30-2002, 09:59 AM   #21
lepgex14
i am useing a powder called rep cal
its got a pink lable

also
for lori the one that does hous calls
do u think it would be better to make the mix ?
because i can get gatorade and criket but i cant blend them an i have calci powder but it might be different so if u sent your mix it wound be the exact stuff u have been succesful with
am i right i dono but thats wut i was figurign since i can t go get all the stuff easyly

Old 07-30-2002, 01:15 PM   #22
LORI KEHOE
Ok the one that you have is ok to use for this.. The rep cal pink label. I have used that one also. Here's the breakdown on this one..

35-40% calcium [ carbonate] based with
vita d3 minimum of 4000,000IU/kg

As for blending that "mixture".. . It can also be done without using a blender even [ I just had to do that myself here this am]. Just crush the bugs up well and then add the other ingredients is all and mix very well. Then go ahead and do as I told you to with it.
ALSO... Take note of this  Continue to feed/offer the leos/gecks the 'live" foods while doing this too. I beleive that Mike has gone over what to do exactly in that area already.

Have you separated the leos like Mike said to yet ? You really need to do that also.

Old 07-30-2002, 01:32 PM   #23
lepgex14
i have to get another place to sepetate them

wll can the crikets be smushed an hole or they need to de diced?

Old 07-30-2002, 10:31 PM   #24
grimdog
Just a note on supplements, make sure whatever supplement it is that you are using does NOT contain vitamin A.  I have been told to avoid it at all costs by an experienced and well respected reptile vet.  I believe the reason behind this was it interferes with calcium absorption.

Old 07-31-2002, 01:23 AM   #25
LORI KEHOE
grimdog.. This specific one is a calci/d3 combination. No vita A in it at all.
This is the only supplement that I have suggested be used for these Leos at this time myself and within a mixture that is already packed for nutrition also even for the Leos. Mike may have suggested something like a vita one though..I do not know for fact if he did or not though.

I have heard  that the Vita A has been noted to possibly cause problems in the area of breeding and the eggs produced. Couldn't verify/deny though as I am not yet into breeding my Leos at all here that i keep in my personal collection. So I haven't researched such thoroughly myself in relation to breeding at all of the Leos.
I think most opf the herp vita powders do have the vita A in it though. i'd have to check on  that though to be sure.

Old 07-31-2002, 02:47 AM   #26
BrianB
Note on vitamin A: Vitamin A toxicity is pretty common in turtles, not really shown AFAIK how much a problem it is in other herps, but most vets suggest avoiding direclty supplementing w/Vit. A.  Rep Cal Herptivite uses beta carotene, which is the precourser, so no risk of overdoing the A there, as the animal's body will only make as much A as it needs from the beta carotene.

As for the D3, too much can also cause problems.  I'd suggest calcium/D3 in the form of either Minerall-I or RepCal Calcium w/D3 powder (minerall sticks better, which is good if feeding out mealies) about once a  week, and plain calcium powder (or Minerall w/out the I) on all other feedings.  For the leos, also a dish/bottle cap of calcium to chow on in the cage at all times.   I think the risk of problems from powdered D3 is lower than with liquid.  The liquid absorbs into the body much more quickly, so things like the T-Rex Solar Drops should be avoided.  

Again, this is all as far as I know.  I'm not a vet, and don't play one on TV.

For rehabbing these guys, I'd go with Minerall-I as the main supplement and offer Herptivite dusted insects two or three times a week, until they put on some more weight and show some vigor.

Old 08-08-2002, 10:59 PM   #27
BrianB
So.... how are the leos doing? Haven't see an update for a few (9) days.

Old 08-23-2002, 09:30 PM   #28
BrianB
Fifteen days since the last status check..... how are the leos doing?

Old 08-23-2002, 11:00 PM   #29
Mike and Erica @ MotherGecko
Well, I have made best effort to offer help and advice but Im not sure it was taken.  I havent heard from Randy in some time and am curious as well how his animals are.  Randy?

Old 08-25-2002, 12:42 AM   #30
Odd Ball Exotics
He is now posting on kingsnake looking for crested geckos.  All he will say is that the leos are doing better.  Lord please save those poor animals.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!