The coolest axolotl tank... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Amphibian Discussion Forum

Notices

Amphibian Discussion Forum General talk about amphibians of any type.

Old 06-09-2012, 01:03 PM   #1
phoenix-cry
The coolest axolotl tank...

I have wanted to get an axolotl for a while now, but when I learned that you can now get them with the GFP (glow) gene I had to have one. I love science!!

Here was the rub, the only room I could keep him in is my reptile room which is on average 80-83 degrees in the summer. No good for axolotl! So I looked into all the options for cooling the water. They were either really expensive like an aquarium chiller, were beyond my skill level like a DIY chiller, or too much work like putting frozen bottles in the tank.

I had just finished a DIY incubator out of wine cooler and thought...hey...why not put my axolotl in a wine cooler? So that's exactly what I did.

Now this is only 5 1/2 gallons so I will need to upgrade. But for the time being this is perfect. got a cheap cooler of CL, put in a light (and a black light since he glows), a blubble powered filter and off we go.

Bluebell the axolotl is chilling at 55 degrees.

Bonus points to anyone who knows why I named my axolotl 'Bluebell'.

She is very friend, come right up to the surface and eats out of my hand.

One axolotl, two views. It is a trick of the water's surface that makes it look like two.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:46 AM   #2
dieselfan
That's an awesome idea! I cant believe no one else has commented.. Job well done!

Old 12-02-2012, 09:39 AM   #3
phoenix-cry
Thanks! He's been very happy in his cool world!

Old 01-03-2013, 10:59 AM   #4
mgoblue347
That is so cool. Very intuitive to come up with that design!

Old 01-03-2013, 11:01 AM   #5
mgoblue347
Sorry *Ingenious* was the word I was looking for =]

Old 01-03-2013, 02:04 PM   #6
Focal
This is a good idea. How's it holding up? I have also put off an Axol because of the low temp requirements. It goes against everything I strive for on a daily basis

Old 01-03-2013, 02:48 PM   #7
phoenix-cry
She is doing great! This system has been running smooth as butter for months. She is growing at a nice controlled pace and is happy eating right from my hand. The water stays clean with the little bubble driven filter and I only change about 25% once a month. There is very little evaporation.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:31 PM   #8
mgoblue347
In regards to the name Bluebell. Hmm is it your favorite type of drink, wine..etc?

Old 01-03-2013, 04:42 PM   #9
Focal
I thought bluebell might have been because the gills somewhat resemble a Bluebell flower because of the way they hang off.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:04 PM   #10
phoenix-cry
Bluebell is the name of the glow in the dark rabbit that had the same gene as this gal in the BBC show Sherlock.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!