Leptopelis uluguruensis (Ruby Eyed Tree Frog) - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Amphibian Discussion Forum

Notices

Amphibian Discussion Forum General talk about amphibians of any type.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:23 PM   #1
WingedSweetheart
Question Leptopelis uluguruensis (Ruby Eyed Tree Frog)

Does anyone know anything about these frogs? I seen a picture of them a few years ago and have since been on the hunt of finding info about them and people to buy them from. I did find out that they are imported and no one has any captive babies because they won't breed in captivity. I have no idea if no captive babies is a true statement or not. But all the websites I've come across say "field collected".

Aside from finding someone to buy them from, does anyone have any care sheets? I can't find any care sheets for these frogs at all. Ever info site I have checked out just give a description of the frog and where they come from. But nothing about care. I read somewhere they are kept just like Red Eyed Tree Frogs. Is this true? Is there anything special they need? What do they eat?

Any help would be appreciated!

Old 06-30-2012, 11:00 AM   #2
hadenglock
From what i understand they are essentially the same as red eyes for care, i believe they are almost genetically the same as them as well, they are found in central america i think. Ive seen captive bred specimens before but it is rare, i think its simply because there isnt that much interest in them compared to the red eyes

Old 07-01-2012, 02:07 PM   #3
Judy S
Letpt.Uluguruensis

I have three calling males which I have had for a long time...and have been searching for girls...hard to come by. I do have a little information on them but so far no success at last word in breeding them. They are from Tanzania and I think there was a problem with getting any amphibians out of that country. Like most of the amphibians, which makes sense...the girls don't "call", so they are not easily captured. I'm still hunting, and hoping. They are just adorable...very sedentary and love to bask in water at night. Love to be sprayed...and usually will sleep in one place all the time. Maybe someone out there will read this post and we can create some interest in them....I'll keep you in mind, and hopefully the same from you...good luck...Judy S

Old 07-01-2012, 02:12 PM   #4
Judy S
Letpt.Uluguruensis

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadenglock View Post
From what i understand they are essentially the same as red eyes for care, i believe they are almost genetically the same as them as well, they are found in central america i think. Ive seen captive bred specimens before but it is rare, i think its simply because there isnt that much interest in them compared to the red eyes
You are correct in your opinion about the care of these adorable frogs. I'm interested in where you may have seen them...perhaps we can get some kind of loan program started to be able to experiment with breeding them. They are just the cutest tree frog going.

Old 07-01-2012, 02:23 PM   #5
WingedSweetheart
One place I read the frogs lay their eggs underground. Another place said they lay eggs on the ground water and that after hatching the tadpoles wiggle into the water. That they must be on a slope to do it. I have no idea if either is true. But that was the explanations I've found as to why they are so hard to breed.

Don't know why there isnt much interest in them because they are so beautiful and come in nice pastel colors.

I also read something about no imports from Tanzania. Don't know if it is temporary or for good though.

Old 07-01-2012, 02:24 PM   #6
WingedSweetheart
Lay on the ground near water*

Old 07-01-2012, 03:01 PM   #7
Judy S
Thanks for the prompt reply...please keep me in mind for some girls ...I have added you to my contact list for just this purpose...let's hope!!!

Old 10-04-2012, 12:34 AM   #8
WingedSweetheart
You'll never guess what I got!

Old 10-16-2012, 04:29 PM   #9
Judy S
Leptopelis Uluguruensis

saw you on another blog, and saw your disappointment that they are, like mine, boys...how in the world can we get some girls????

Old 10-16-2012, 04:31 PM   #10
WingedSweetheart
I haven't got any girls yet. I have someone willing to try. They are having some frogs coming in next month. I have my fingers crossed that there will be girls.

The frog in my picture is one of my boys.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!