Gilbert Thompson "born-again" huh? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 10-03-2005, 04:40 PM   #1
RyanT
Gilbert Thompson "born-again" huh?

This isn't something I would normally do but this guy isn't a normal case and he's just annoying and worthless.

I got an email from Gilbert Thompson friday of last week. Would have been like September 23rd. He said he was extremely interested in my hypo southern copperhead group and left his number for me to give him a call. I called back right away and spoke to, I guess his wife. He wasn't there. I tried calling again saturday and no answer. Sunday night I get a call from him and we talk for about 45 minutes or so about these snakes and he seems like a really good guy. Very interested. Has an extensive copperhead collection. Really wants to work with these. He's so excited about them , he's gonna sell a Gila to a guy who wants it for way less than he's asking just so he can raise the funds to buy these from me. We agreed that he's gonna give me a call first thing monday and he'll have the guy PayPal me directly to save on fees. He's totally serious and wants to get this done ASAP. Can't wait to get them.

Well, no call from him monday so I try calling him until the afternoon. No answer. I was bored and curious so I did a search on here for his name and came up with a few threads about what a deadbeat idiot he is. Of course I was now thinking he's doing the same thing to me. I really didn't think so because of how interested he seemed but I emailed him anyway and told him about what I had read and hoped he wasn't planning on doing the same thing to me. The response I get from him tuesday morning is short and to the point. "I'm really sorry you had to bring that up. I can't do this deal with you now." I was stunned at how final he was over me bringing up what was written about him. I called him since he must have been home and he actually answered. I explained that I was just truly hoping that this was gonna work out. No big deal at all. I really couldn't care less what's written about him as long as our deal is good. I even said I would be sure to come here praising him if everything went the way it was planned.

Well, after getting him settled down it was back to business. Over the next few days, from tuesday to saturday, we had numerous emails and phone conversations. He needs more pics, wants to show them to his friends, wants to do research. On saturday he's on the phone with me checking field guides to make sure that the clear belly on my visible hypo isn't a locality thing. Wants to be sure it will prove genetic. Wants me to describe exactly what color he is. He can't decide. Just wants to get the hypo and check him out, if he likes him he'll buy the other 4 het animals. Complete runaround but I keep giving him what he wants. Of course I'm smart enough at this point to know he's running the same game on me I read about. But I just need him to tell me after all this that he's not really interested. Anyway, we hang up saturday afternoon and he's gonna give me a call back later that evening with what he wants to do cause he just can't figure it all out right then.

Never heard from him again saturday. I emailed him sunday night and said I need a final decision by today (monday) because I have someone else interested and need to know what to do. I'd really like for him to take the whole group because if what he said about his plans to work with them. Today is monday. I've been calling all day. About 20 minutes ago he finally answered. I said "Hey, Gilbert?" and the phone hangs up. I called right back and his voice mail comes on. I called over and over agin about 5 times while it just rang. Then it picks up again and I hear frantic dialing and it hangs up again. I called back a few more times and it just rang again. I've had enough of dealing with this little baby so I'm posting this here. This guy has some serious issues. From all of the claims he made to me about being really close friends with Brian Sharp and alot of other well known people, and saying that he has a bad temper which is why he reacted the way he did on the other threads about him (I can actually relate to that one, haha), I'm wondering if this guy is just a wanna-be or if he's dillusional or what. Either way, he's a pain in the ass and a huge waste of time. Obviously from his years-long history of pulling this crap, he's useless. And to have to listen to that damn Texas accent for a week and nothing come of it is just cruel and unusual punishment. (No offense to the respectable Texans here, just kidding, sort of.) I just wanted to put this here to piss this baby off and also to point out that he's definitely still doing the same things he's known for. He's a huge waste of time. If he contacts you about something, don't expect him to follow through on ANYTHING he tells you. He's a moron.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with changing your mind. We all do it. An email or 2 from someone and then they disappear is totally expected. No big deal at all. But this little childish game he plays is pathetic. Sorry this is so long but this week dealing with this little b!tch has been frustrating and I wanted to get all the details. I knew this was gonna happen. I still wish I could have heard him say he wasn't interested though. Instead, he just handled like a 2 year old. Hell, even my 2 year old handles things better than that. So....seller beware. This guy's useless and a huge waste of breath, effort and long distance phone charges. Later. Ryan.

Old 10-03-2005, 05:32 PM   #2
Justin Mitcham
I can't believe this guy hasn't learned his lesson yet, the way he treated countless people exactly the way he treated you is incredible , now he has a reputation for being the worst deadbeat buyer in the history of the hobby. I even heard friends say " man that guy is another Gilbert Thompson" Way to go Gilbert...now your a house-hold-name in the reptile world!!! This guy has serious issues and needs professional help in my opinion. I have talk with him for hours on the phone and thought he was a true genuine good person to deal with. Boy was I wrong!!!!!Personally if you ever get an email from this Joker save yourself the headache and don't even reply, if you do he'll likely suck you in and tie you up for days or weeks all for nothing. Not even a decent thank you for your time.

Old 10-03-2005, 05:37 PM   #3
Suncoast Herpetological
Ryan...

You have just been "Gilberted". I will assume that the phrase "Don't sell them...I have cash!" was stated more than once. This weasel is the King of all the perennial window shoppers. He has taken more animals off the market with that phrase under false pretenses than anyone in the industry. On top of that, the guy is a total head case.

Consider yourself lucky to have only had your time wasted.

The following threads are required reading for anyone that might consider doing business with this POS

http://faunaclassifieds.com/forums/s...hlight=Gilbert

http://faunaclassifieds.com/forums/s...hlight=Gilbert

They are not only very educational, they are entertaining as hell. This guy is a racist wishy washy waste of sperm. I have never seen such a great argument for retro active birth control. He is the poster child for customers to not do business with.

Avoid this idiot at all costs

Old 10-03-2005, 06:27 PM   #4
Greg Riso
Wink Just One Point

Ryan, sorry you went through that. I had the exact ame scenario happen recently with another person that jerked me around for almost a month and a half concerning a tiger het albino retic I have for sale. Swore to me he wanted it and "I had his word" blah blah..... Every time we were supposed to make plans to meet he never committed and finally bugged out.
What I'm wondering is, if you read about Gilbert on other threads, then why did you choose to start ANOTHER ONE? Isn't this against the BOI rules? It would have made more sense to post your experience on one of the other existing threads to keep the topic consolidated.

Old 10-03-2005, 07:20 PM   #5
The BoidSmith
Quote:
I really couldn't care less what's written about him as long as our deal is good.
Ryan,

It’s understandable when someone gets taken because he didn’t know about the person he was going to deal with. But to willing do business with a person that’s known for having wronged other people just because “the deal is convenient”…...That’s precisely one of the reasons why we can’t get rid of other scammers that plague this industry. As long as we feed them they will keep thriving.

Regards.

Old 10-03-2005, 09:01 PM   #6
shrap
Thanks Dan,

My thoughts exactly, you beat me to it and saved me some time.

Old 10-03-2005, 09:39 PM   #7
Wilomn
Well Ryan, now you have other decisions to make, perhaps from knowledge you were not in posession of just a week ago.

Now you have to decide if your admission that you don't care what is said here seriously or not. IF you don't care then the gilberts of the world are going to be constantly in your life. If, on the other hand, you DO care about what is said here, as I think you do, then you simply have to make that big decision, do I take the money from a known scumbag or do I wait for a good buyer.

It's not always easy to decide, especially when you have 8 bucks in the bank; however, if you make the decison to wait for a good buyer I think you'll be able to walk a little taller, back a little straighter, than if you just take the money from slime.

Old 10-03-2005, 10:51 PM   #8
RyanT
I pretty much knew from last monday morning on that this guy was just a retard after I read everything on here. It was more of trying to get him to prove it. That's why I kept up with him. I didn't really expect him to come through if he never has for anyone else. And yeah, I guess you're right Wes. I'd rather be considered one of the people who cares what is said on here that be a scumbag like Gilbert. Hey, live and learn. I've been doing ALOT of that lately, in so many more ways than I can even explain.

Old 10-03-2005, 11:15 PM   #9
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanT
And yeah, I guess you're right Wes. I'd rather be considered one of the people who cares what is said on here that be a scumbag like Gilbert. Hey, live and learn. I've been doing ALOT of that lately, in so many more ways than I can even explain.

Ryan,
A little off-topic but I would like to say, I like the new you. I hope everything goes great for you.

Old 10-03-2005, 11:21 PM   #10
ms_terese
In Ryan's defense, it seemed like he was direct with Gilbert about his concerns, and was willing to give him a chance to have a good transaction that Ryan would then report. If anyone is to ever turn around poor business practices, they have to start somewhere. Truthfully, I feel better about someone getting a second chance with a customer who IS aware of their past failings: it increases the odds that they are serious about making amends, since obviously the buyer will have some precautions in place based on the sellers reputation. (Of course, in this case, it's a disreputable buyer, not seller.)

Now, the fact that Ryan was recently swindled out of a significant amount of money in an email scam and may need to sell things to dig himself out of the hole this theft has left him in may have even made him more willing to give Gilbert a shot.

Either way, Ryan is not the bad guy on this one....well, except on the part about starting a new thread on Gilbert rather than adding to an existing one....but that's forgivable.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!