One dead another dying HELP!!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-15-2006, 11:06 PM   #1
catawhat
One dead another dying HELP!!!

I treated my snakes last night and put everyone in rubbermaids until I thoroughly disinfected the tanks. Went to check water bowls this evening and my pastel was twisting around horribly. I washed him off thinking somehow I didn't fully rinse him last night, shortly after this he went into more severe convulsions and died. My het albino male is twitching and twisting as well and I am terrified I am going to loose him as well. Is there anything I can do to save him???Was this due to the mite spray, did I do something wrong??? The mite spray I bought was from a local reptile store I used to work for. Asking a current employee, the stuff is now stonger b/c people were complaining that he was "watering" down the spray too much. I was not told this beforehand and was not told that instead of letting them soak, just spray/dunk them and then rinse. Did my soaking them kill them? The other snakes I treated are fine, just these two from the same breeder (who btw I think is a great guy) who are having issues. I am so upset thinking that I killed my snakes, please if anyone has any ideas let me know.

Old 10-16-2006, 12:09 AM   #2
ldydrgn
What is the product you used? That would help...

Old 10-16-2006, 12:15 AM   #3
catawhat
The mite spray is from Captive Born Reptiles. Terry is the "expert" on reptiles in our area and is big on the fight for reptile/owners rights pit tagging etc. I have been going to him for years, trusted him, worked for him etc...
He sells lots of this stuff at his store, he doesn't carry other mite spray. He makes it himself- uses permethrin in it but that is all I know at this time.

Old 10-16-2006, 12:18 AM   #4
ldydrgn
If Permethrin is in the product then it should not be used directly on the snake. What you are witnessing is probably neurological damage. Any product containing permethrin should only be used to treat the enclosure.

Old 10-16-2006, 01:57 AM   #5
hhmoore
When you say soak - do you mean soak as in heavily spraying, so they are wet? or actually putting them in the stuff to soak? Either one carries with it the possibility of the snake drinking the stuff, but the chance of ingestion is greater with the latter. Other than that addition, I agee that the neurological symptoms & death are most likely attributable to the mite treatment. If you do a search you will find similar stories - generally associated with not complying with recommended dosing/administration.

Old 10-18-2006, 03:32 AM   #6
evansnakes
Many of the old school guys use Nix or other head lice human treatments, in a spray bottle filled with water. The problem being if the snakes drink any of the pooling liquid when you spray them, it will kill them and that sounds exactly like what happened in your case. In this day and age there are many good treatments for mites that do not have the risk involved so there is no need to go that route. It is illegal and unsafe to use a chemical of that nature for an off label purpose but what people do is what people do of their own choice. HOWEVER, when he is selling it for an unapproved, off label use he is at fault for the loss of your animals if it was the cause and he did not provide you with any written or verbal instruction to keep you from making the mistake you did. He should know better.

Old 10-18-2006, 10:07 AM   #7
barbie69
I am so sorry for your loss !! I have purchased snakes and taken my snakes to Terry for years and I do trust him. I have also used the product you are referring to on a rare occasion when I had mite issues and had no problems with my snakes after the treatment. I did however rinse them immediately following the treatment. Again, I am so so sorry for your loss and I will keep my fingers crossed the other snakes are okay.

Old 10-24-2006, 08:04 PM   #8
LadyOhh
Any news of the snakes? Did any more pass?

Old 10-25-2006, 09:41 PM   #9
catawhat
The other snake who was showing lesser symptoms is doing good now. He is back to his normal active self, or mostly so and everyone else never showed any signs. Thank you for asking. I think hhmoore was right in stating that the one who passed might have ingested some. I did spray them heavily and let them soak for a few minutes before rinsing. Learned a valuable lesson, I just wish it wasn't such a painful one for my snake.
My provent a mite just came earlier this week, so I have followed the directions to a T, and will not use homemade mite spray again. I will say this site has been very helpful to me and I have learned alot, not only on this issue but many others that will make me a better owner and I am greatful for that.

Old 10-26-2006, 06:12 PM   #10
darkbloodwyvern
sorry that your snake died, and i just hope the other doesn't have any long term damage. It is good you learned from this, but i am so sorry it was a hard lesson, it is so horrible to be responsible for a pet's death or sickness, I just hope it never happens again! Good luck with the rest of your animals, I have found it's best to post here if you have any doubts....

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!