pieds vs banana morphs? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-22-2016, 02:57 PM   #1
robert7107
pieds vs banana morphs?

my question may come across odd and i am sorry but i would believe this to be a excellent place for some good options.
iam getting back into snakes and more specifically ball pythons with my daughter who is 9. i am torn between the pied ball morph and banana. my daughter loves them both as do i. so what is going to sell better in your option i am looking to get my females now already have 200+ gram mojave wanting two more then plan to pick up male mid next year... this is what i was thinking of getting..

male
banana pastave or banana mojave

females
mojave .... hoping for some bels
vanilla
and either a pastel or lemonblast for third female.

or.....

male piedball with some sort of morph .

female
100 % het. pied
2nd female being 100% het for pied with some sort of morph
then of course my mojave

Old 08-22-2016, 05:08 PM   #2
Big Borg Reptiles
That depends, are you trying to sell online or at shows?

If you go to shows, bananas sell really well. They're beautiful snakes (even the single gene) and they really stand out when they're on a table. Online you might have a little bit more difficulty, mainly because of the sex-linked issue. If you're not aware (without going into it too far), most male bananas will only produce more male bananas, so there's an "abundance" of male bananas available which drives the price down. That being said, 2 out of the 3 banana combos I sold this year were online, so I don't know.

Pieds are always going to be popular and are always going to sell. The only problem is that they're recessive, so unless you do visual to visual you have to keep your fingers crossed. I just hatched out a pied x het pied clutch and got 1 pied out of 6 eggs. I've also heard of people hitting all pieds out of the same pairing, so it's all a matter of luck.

I don't think you could go wrong with either. Regardless of what people say, there's no reason for bananas to keep dropping. I've seen a few people listing them at 150, but the fact is most buyers are still more than willing to pay 200 for them. Pieds are always a good choice too. I would go with whatever you like the look of more, for me it would be the banana (I've never thought pieds were that cool tbh).

Old 08-22-2016, 05:21 PM   #3
hhmoore
Buy what you like.
You're getting in at a low point in the market, so you won't be getting fantastic returns...that isn't an issue when you're working with animals that you like/appreciate.
Keep in mind that in a couple years, the market will be even more saturated than it is now.

Breeding doesn't have to be the goal in keeping snakes, especially early on in a keeper's experience. Personally, I got much more enjoyment out of my animals before I started focusing on breeding. (Don't get me wrong, breeding, and experiencing hatchings/births is an amazing part of this hobby...I'm just saying that there is no need to rush to that goal. "Pets" are better than "stock")

Old 08-22-2016, 05:28 PM   #4
robert7107
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMB-2 View Post
That depends, are you trying to sell online or at shows?

If you go to shows, bananas sell really well. They're beautiful snakes (even the single gene) and they really stand out when they're on a table. Online you might have a little bit more difficulty, mainly because of the sex-linked issue. If you're not aware (without going into it too far), most male bananas will only produce more male bananas, so there's an "abundance" of male bananas available which drives the price down. That being said, 2 out of the 3 banana combos I sold this year were online, so I don't know.

Pieds are always going to be popular and are always going to sell. The only problem is that they're recessive, so unless you do visual to visual you have to keep your fingers crossed. I just hatched out a pied x het pied clutch and got 1 pied out of 6 eggs. I've also heard of people hitting all pieds out of the same pairing, so it's all a matter of luck.

I don't think you could go wrong with either. Regardless of what people say, there's no reason for bananas to keep dropping. I've seen a few people listing them at 150, but the fact is most buyers are still more than willing to pay 200 for them. Pieds are always a good choice too. I would go with whatever you like the look of more, for me it would be the banana (I've never thought pieds were that cool tbh).
Online.
I picked these two because I don't see them saturated in the market like spider,pin combos.
The pieds have always been a favorite 8+ years ago when they where several 1,000 if 10s of thousands way beyond my pocket book

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Old 08-22-2016, 05:37 PM   #5
Big Borg Reptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert7107 View Post
Online.
I picked these two because I don't see them saturated in the market like spider,pin combos.

That's because they both sell really well, so usually they don't stay listed too long. Some of the others you might sit on for a while (depending on the combo and quality). That's why I say, there's absolutely no reason that bananas should be going any lower, they sell perfectly well at 200 (they'd probably sell well even at 300 but too many sellers tanked the price).

As Harald said, you're entering a market that's saturated with certain things, but that's not to say you can't still sell stuff. I've been selling really well at shows and online and most of what I have right now is ball pythons. You're obviously not going to be able to sell pieds or bananas at the price they were 5 years ago, but that's not to say you can't still make a little money.

I personally get more enjoyment out of breeding. Don't get me wrong, I love my snakes and sometimes have to stop and admire them for a while, but there's something about seeing the babies poking their head out of an egg that really makes me happy.

Old 08-23-2016, 01:27 PM   #6
robert7107
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMB-2 View Post
That's because they both sell really well, so usually they don't stay listed too long. Some of the others you might sit on for a while (depending on the combo and quality). That's why I say, there's absolutely no reason that bananas should be going any lower, they sell perfectly well at 200 (they'd probably sell well even at 300 but too many sellers tanked the price).

As Harald said, you're entering a market that's saturated with certain things, but that's not to say you can't still sell stuff. I've been selling really well at shows and online and most of what I have right now is ball pythons. You're obviously not going to be able to sell pieds or bananas at the price they were 5 years ago, but that's not to say you can't still make a little money.

I personally get more enjoyment out of breeding. Don't get me wrong, I love my snakes and sometimes have to stop and admire them for a while, but there's something about seeing the babies poking their head out of an egg that really makes me happy.
I love the banana morphs and there are so many possibilities with them but I have admired the pieds since 2006 but where far out of my financial reach tell now..

Old 08-23-2016, 01:46 PM   #7
ShawneeAlice
I'm also akin to the idea of going with what you like. I plan on breeding Dumeril's boas in the fairly far future, they don't sell for a lot, but they are my favorite snakes and it would bring me more joy to spread the Dumeril's love than breed something just to make money.

That said I really like pieds. :P

Old 08-23-2016, 02:14 PM   #8
Pasodama
Could combine the two and do Banana Pieds.
The best advice has been given ... to do whichever you like best.

Old 08-23-2016, 02:38 PM   #9
AbsoluteApril
I was going to say the same thing! haha Banana Pieds are quite pretty

Old 08-23-2016, 02:59 PM   #10
robert7107
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
I was going to say the same thing! haha Banana Pieds are quite pretty
Was just thinking that.lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasodama View Post
Could combine the two and do Banana Pieds.
The best advice has been given ... to do whichever you like best.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!