Interesting Neonate Feeding Response - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-26-2007, 02:28 PM   #1
Melinda
Interesting Neonate Feeding Response

For my 06 babies, I seperated each one as they came outta the egg into their own shoebox enclosure. These were a nightmare to get feeding.

For my first 3 clutchs of 07 babies, I did the same thing, about half are eating good. Some still will not eat after 6 offerings of f/t or live.

With my last clutch of 10 ph Clowns, I put them all together for 2 weeks. I seperated each one yesterday into their own tub. 8 of 10 took f/t rat fuzzy with gusto. I was shocked as one after the other grabbed their f/t fuzzy. I'm not used to hatchlings eating their first meal so well.

I will keep all of my 08 babies in the same tub for 2 weeks and note their feeding responses. I know snakes are solitary and do not hang around together. But I'm thinking with them all together for the first 2 weeks, they somehow felt secure.

Old 07-26-2007, 09:25 PM   #2
FireStorm
That is interesting - it's definitely worth looking into. Maybe I'll try that with my next clutch. I separated my first clutch right away, too. I just tried feeding them for the second time tonight, and none of them ate. They're driving me nuts! I hope these guys don't take six offerings to start feeding. I'm not sure I could stand it, lol.

Keep us posted on how they do!

Old 07-27-2007, 12:01 AM   #3
Pink Lady Exotics
Melinda, I did the same with my 3 clutches this year. I've kept them together after hatching with their clutchmates, and then when it came time for first feeding they were separated into their own tubs. All of them took food right away except one picky baby -- so I left him with his sister and 2 offered meals later, he began eating like a horse.

Old 07-27-2007, 04:07 PM   #4
bullfrog100000
In the wild would the hatchlings stay together at all? Even maybe until the first shed? Or could it be a competition thing... they know there are other snakes nearby wanting the same food so they better get it first. ???

Old 07-27-2007, 04:20 PM   #5
Pink Lady Exotics
Seeing as my hatchlings don't move or do anything until they shed, I would assume it's instinct that they stay put for the time being. I think the babies would stay in the safety of the den until they shed since they need the protection and the higher humidity to accomplish it. Then once they shed, I think they leave in search of food.

Old 07-27-2007, 04:23 PM   #6
Melinda
Sounds like we're on to something here Jen. 80% first feed rate on f/t is way better than my usual rate. Yesterday one of the 2 ph clowns that did not eat, took a small live mouse. So that's 90% eating after their first shed within 3 weeks of hatch. YeeHaw!!

One season I held out and only offered f/t, it was 2 months and a couple assist feeds before the little buggers ate willingly.

Old 07-27-2007, 06:07 PM   #7
FireStorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenHarrison
Seeing as my hatchlings don't move or do anything until they shed, I would assume it's instinct that they stay put for the time being. I think the babies would stay in the safety of the den until they shed since they need the protection and the higher humidity to accomplish it. Then once they shed, I think they leave in search of food.

I noticed that with mine, too, so it would make sense that in the wild they stay in the den until they shed. They got alot more active once they shed. I'm definitely going to try keeping my next clutch together until after their first shed.

Old 07-28-2007, 09:32 AM   #8
ChadRamsey
2 of my poss het pied hatchlings this season born on july 5th still have not eaten, and of course they are the ONLY 2 that have the "pied markers" and are BOTH girls. And i can not sell them until they eat! So I am going to put them together and test this even though they are a month old.

Thanks for the idea i will post back the results.

Chad

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!