my female ready for breeding?! help! - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-09-2011, 08:22 PM   #11
emericanz
and hilary what you said makes sense! and i will post pics of babies and some might be for sale! but well see i may love them too much haha

Old 07-10-2011, 08:17 AM   #12
Acoustin
Yes I would defiantly say you should breed them xD

Old 07-15-2011, 06:40 PM   #13
emericanz
ok well there both ready to breed and showing some signs there ready! i will breed them but i want to know whats the best incubator for low cost (as in im not gonna spend $400 on one at this time)

and wheres the best price i can get for vermiculite and perlite or what do you guys use for your eggs?!

thanks guys please respond soon!

Old 07-16-2011, 08:49 AM   #14
Matt2979
Building your own incubator is pretty easy. My first was a mini-fridge. This year I had to replace my kitchen refrigerator so I converted my old one into my new incubator (dragons up top in the freezer, and lots of room in the fridge for my BP eggs to cook at a different temp).

I use vermiculite as my incubating medium, but be sure that you do NOT get the kind that has any added fertilizers. I got a giant bag from a nursery, for pretty cheap.

Old 07-17-2011, 01:41 PM   #15
emericanz
yea i saw they have some at lowes and home depot ill prob just go to the nursery down the street as well and how did you heat your fridge because i have an old one just sitting in my garage i can convert! (great idea btw) thanks matt!

Old 07-17-2011, 02:14 PM   #16
Cache Reptiles
Building an Incubator

That should get you started!

Old 07-17-2011, 05:33 PM   #17
Matt2979
Quote:
Originally Posted by emericanz View Post
yea i saw they have some at lowes and home depot ill prob just go to the nursery down the street as well and how did you heat your fridge because i have an old one just sitting in my garage i can convert! (great idea btw) thanks matt!
The link that Dillon provided looks very similar to what I did, the only exception being that I never bothered with removing the cooling assembly (compressor and all that). Well wired heat tape, a good thermostat and a good thermometer (don't always trust what your therm says), and you're in business.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:08 AM   #18
sagespyder@yahoo.com
i could tell you right off what i used to build my incubator. quite frankly i found a full sized fridge on craigslist of 20 bucks that i turned into an incubator with an aquarium heater and a thermostat. well.. also with a bin to hold water to create humidity and the aquarium heater was placed in.

some people say to place the male in with the female since it is her territory and should make her feel more comfortable. i have tried this and has worked with much success. i have moved females in with males and gotten the same results. i think it has to do with the male. if a male is aggressive he doesn't care where he is as long as a female it there with him. if he is not aggressive for a breeder then he might need some time until he gets used to the female.

where i am with the incubator and where i live i don't actually have to turn on the water heater to keep constant temps.

i use vermiculite to keep the eggs in the incubator.

all in all with everyone giving you advice i am sure you will come out alright.

Old 08-03-2011, 03:54 PM   #19
emericanz
ok well i have had them in the same tank for about a week and i dont see signs of her digging or anything.

she shows signs of completely submitting to the male but he does his dance then stops.

or hell dance then latch on but never do the deed!

can anyone explain to me whats going on? for now im gonna separate them then introduce next week.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:19 PM   #20
chris allen
Did you cool the dragons at all? Also I found good vermiculite in bulk from uline.com

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!