weird bearded dragon breeding question...help please - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-22-2010, 02:30 AM   #1
melissamann
Question weird bearded dragon breeding question...help please

I HAVE A RED ADULT FEMALE WHO IS A PROVEN FEMALE. WE ALSO HAVE A HYPO TRANS MALE WHO JUST BREED HER FOR THE FIRST TIME TODAY. HE HAD BLOOD COME FROM HIS HEMIPENIS TWO TIMES SO WE SEPERATEDED THEM. HAS ANYONE HAD THIS HAPPEN? HIS HEMIPENIS IS NOT PROLAPSED IT WENT RIGHT BACK IN LIKE NORMAL. THE VET SAID TO TAKE HIM OUT AND WAIT A FEW DAYS AND TRY AGAIN AND THAT HE MAY BE INFERTLE. HAS ANYONE HAD THIS HAPPEN. ALSO WILL SHE BE GRAVID?

Old 03-22-2010, 09:23 AM   #2
angie.h
Many years ago I had that happen...but I could see that when he wrapped around her,his own back claw jagged into him [ there was blood on the back toe] but it didn't affect him and although I believe that I separated them,he was fine and produced babies for me.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:58 PM   #3
melissamann
thank you. i am hoping he will be fine. we were not in the room when it happened there was alot of blood but also milky white stuff mixed with blood all over the cage. only about maybe 15 drops of blood. but it was on both of there clocia i think that is the word for it. i am a vet tech but for dogs and cats. the exotic doctor was not in i had to page him and it was hard to explain what had happened.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:36 PM   #4
dragonluver83
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissamann View Post
I HAVE A RED ADULT FEMALE WHO IS A PROVEN FEMALE. WE ALSO HAVE A HYPO TRANS MALE WHO JUST BREED HER FOR THE FIRST TIME TODAY. HE HAD BLOOD COME FROM HIS HEMIPENIS TWO TIMES SO WE SEPERATEDED THEM. HAS ANYONE HAD THIS HAPPEN? HIS HEMIPENIS IS NOT PROLAPSED IT WENT RIGHT BACK IN LIKE NORMAL. THE VET SAID TO TAKE HIM OUT AND WAIT A FEW DAYS AND TRY AGAIN AND THAT HE MAY BE INFERTLE. HAS ANYONE HAD THIS HAPPEN. ALSO WILL SHE BE GRAVID?
Yea, its quite common sometimes in younger dragons BUT will happen with all ages. It's happened to me before, sometimes not bad and sometimes it spray across the cage wall like a gore scene from a horror movie.
What happens is the hemipenes is super super soft skin. Like Angie said it could of been a claw. BUT in many cases it seems to be the spikes on the Female dragons tail. When the male dragon tries to adjust himself he will drag it across a spike which can result in a mild cut or a severe cut with ALOT of blood. As far as will she be gravid. As long as he penetrated the female and finished the action, she should be gravid. but alot of the time when there bleeding its because they missed the vent. And hit one of her spikes.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:38 PM   #5
dragonluver83
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissamann View Post
thank you. i am hoping he will be fine. we were not in the room when it happened there was alot of blood but also milky white stuff mixed with blood all over the cage. only about maybe 15 drops of blood. but it was on both of there clocia i think that is the word for it. i am a vet tech but for dogs and cats. the exotic doctor was not in i had to page him and it was hard to explain what had happened.
If your seeing milky white stuff in the blood it sounds like he missed the vent and the sperm was left behind in the blood.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:47 PM   #6
dragonluver83
Proper Breeding

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie.h View Post
Many years ago I had that happen...but I could see that when he wrapped around her,his own back claw jagged into him [ there was blood on the back toe] but it didn't affect him and although I believe that I separated them,he was fine and produced babies for me.
This will greatly show Angie's point with the back Claw. And it will also show you what a "successful breeding".
You can see how close the back claw is to the Male's hemipene. You can also see how close the spikes are to the males hemipene. So if he misses there thats when a spike can scratch him.
Sorry for the messy tail she has been running her cage for three days wanting to get bred. I just popped her in the cage and my citrus hypo. He wasted no time on giving you a correct example on how a breeding should go.

Old 03-23-2010, 12:48 AM   #7
melissamann
thank you guys so much. this has been so helpful. we were worried because the vet said it may mean he is sterile. my female has had 3 clutches and all her eggs hatched only 1 babies died out of all of them. so we knew it wasnt her that was sterile. but it sounds like he will be fine if we put them back together in a few days she loves her new hypo trans boy friend.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!