Pet shop worker bitten by snake - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 06-15-2006, 04:23 AM   #1
Clay Davenport
Pet shop worker bitten by snake

I'd love to know what the heck a king cobra is doing in a pet shop, and why exactly would the owner be allowing the hired help to work with it.

A pet shop worker is critically ill after he was bitten by a deadly snake as he worked in the store.

Adam Ockwell, from Swindon, suffered the bite at The Reptile Zone in Filton near Bristol, on Tuesday evening.

The shop's manager flagged down a passing policeman who drove Mr Ockwell to Frenchay Hospital.

Mr Ockwell is understood to have been given anti-venom which was sent to Bristol from Guys and St Thomas' Hospital in London.

'Anaphylactic shock'

A spokesman for the store said a worker had been bitten, but refused to confirm the snake involved was a king cobra.

It is believed the man, who is in his early 20s, was feeding the highly-venomous snake when it struck out and bit him just before 1800 BST.

He was later transferred to intensive care and is thought to have suffered from anaphylactic shock.

Mr Ockwell is said to be in a stable but serious condition.

An Avon and Somerset police spokeswoman, said: "The officer used his initiative and took the victim to hospital. According to hospital staff, this saved his life.

"However, as far as we are aware, the victim is not out of danger yet.

"But there is no police investigation into this incident."

Paul Williams of the BBC's Natural History Unit, said: "King cobras are one of the most dangerous animals in the world.

"Although they don't have the most deadly venom it is the volume of poison it can inject - up to two fluid ounces (60ml) - which is capable of killing 20-30 people.

"I've also heard it can kill a full-grown elephant in less than three hours."

The reptile's natural habitat is in the dense highland forests of mainland India, southern China and south-east Asia, and on average grows to 13ft (4m) in length.

Link

Old 06-15-2006, 05:06 AM   #2
varnyard
Clay, I would say that is two very valid questions. Things that make you go """ Hmmm """

Old 06-15-2006, 10:46 AM   #3
Junkyard
I have two questions myself. What is the feeding protocol for feeding that king cobra in the store? Why did the spokesman for the store refuse to confirm the snake involved was a king cobra?

Old 06-17-2006, 11:06 AM   #4
Rattlesnake
Actually they grow to a length of from 12 to 15 feet, with some specimens reaching a length of 17 feet. Their venom yield is one of the most impressive in the snake world, capable of delivering a two ounce injection at one time.

Old 06-18-2006, 11:27 PM   #5
Clay Davenport
An additional article

BITTEN BY 9FT COBRA IN PET SHOP
Adam fights for life after horror attack
By Richard Smith

A PET shop worker was fighting for life last night after being bitten by a 9ft king cobra.

Adam Ockwell, in his 20s, was attacked while feeding the reptile whose poison is so deadly it can kill an elephant in three hours.

Advertisement
Falk AdSolution

Shop manager Peter Blake flagged down a police car, telling officers: "A man has been bitten by a king cobra. He'll be dead in 15 minutes unless you get him to hospital quick."

Adam was taken to Frenchay Hospital, Bristol, where he was admitted to intensive care.

Later, he was given anti-venom rushed by courier from Guy's and St Thomas' Hospital, in London. He is critically ill.

Snake expert Dr Robert Bustard, former president of the Royal Herpeto-logical Society, said: "Getting help so soon almost certainly saved this man from a horrible death. He'd have become seriously ill very quickly.

"His breathing would be difficult, he'd be vomiting in minutes and going hot and cold. Then he'd start shaking and shivering and could have fallen unconscious.

"It's ridiculous that ordinary people are allowed to keep these snakes."

Adam was bitten by the cobra - nicknamed Kong - at the Reptile Zone pet shop, pictured below, in Patchway, Bristol, on Tuesday evening.

The shop has about 15 glass tanks containing dozens of snakes, including two 8ft pythons and a boa constrictor.

It is fully licensed and owner Mr Blake has had a Dangerous Wild Animals licence for more than five years. An assistant at the shop, which opened eight months ago, said yesterday: "We can't comment.

"But I can say that we adhere to the strictest health and safety standards in everything we do here. This is an isolated incident."

Staff at a florist's next door told how they found a snake which had escaped from the pet store just hours before Adam was bitten.

Alison Clare said: "I saw a woman bend to look at something outside our shop. It was a 3ft orange snake.

"We put it in a carrier bag and a man from the shop collected it. He said the snake was definitely one of theirs, but non-poisonous. He didn't seem to know how it escaped. I was petrified."

In a local newspaper interview Adam, of Swindon, Wilts, claimed to own 34 snakes as well as spiders and lizards.

He is listed as an expert for Reptile Care magazine where he notes his keen interest in tarantulas. He has also written online about caring for snakes.

Yesterday radio presenter Kevin Restall told how he handled Kong for his show on Bristol's GWR FM.

Kevin, 34, said: "It was so big both my hands wouldn't fit round it.

"I was told I should try to pick it up. It was very uncomfortable and I told them I wouldn't do it. In the end I just stroked it - that was enough for me."

The RSPCA said: "Cobras are not usually aggressive but will attack if they feel threatened. They should be handled as few times as possible."

Police said: "Our officer took the snake victim to hospital. According to staff, this saved his life. No investigation is required." No one from the hospital was available for comment.

10 FASCINATING FACTS ON THE KING OF SNAKES..

1 THE king cobra grows to 16ft and is the world's biggest poison snake.

2 Its venom can stun the nervous system and stop breathing.

3 The head is as big as a man's hand.

4 Its fangs are a half-inch long.

5 A bite delivers 2fl oz. of poison.

6 That is enough to kill an elephant in three hours or 20 people.

7 The cobra kills hundreds of victims in its native India every year.

8 It's more likely to flee than bite.

9 Diet is other snakes and lizards.

10 It can rise to a third of its height.

Link

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!