FedEx - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 08-19-2003, 05:39 PM   #1
Odd Ball Exotics
Thumbs down FedEx

I am very disapointed in my latest experiance with FedEx. I have never had problems shipping reptiles with them in the past and today my package was refused. When I tried to discuss it with the person behind the counter he got VERY defensive and upset. I spoke to a manager who was also very defensive and did not wish to help me out at all. I even called the Live Animal Desk (and even though it says live animals are accepted) they refused to ship. I will no longer be using FedEx for any of my shipments. (Live or otherwise).

Old 08-19-2003, 05:43 PM   #2
Rob @ RK Reptiles
Tegan,

I am sorry to hear about your problems but Fed-Ex's policies clearly state that they do not ship live animals of any kind including reptiles. You are lucky that you were able to ship with them as long as you did without problems.

Old 08-19-2003, 05:48 PM   #3
jenn_jeffery
Live Animals

FedEx does not accept live animal shipments as part of its regularly scheduled service. Live animals will be accepted when the shipment is coordinated and approved by the FedEx Live Animal Desk. Acceptable shipments include, but are not limited to, zoo animals (to and from zoo locations only) and horses (from gateway to gateway locations only). Household pets, such as domestic cats and dogs, are not accepted. For more information, please contact the FedEx Live Animal Desk at 800.405.9052.

http://www.fedex.com/us/services/exp...veanimals.html

So it seems to depend on who you're dealing with at any given time....

Old 08-19-2003, 06:03 PM   #4
Laura S.
Actually, Fedex does ship live animals. According to the policies on their website, www.fedex.com, they will ship animals under the following conditions;

(this is copied and pasted directly from their web site)

FedEx Express Terms and Conditions

Live Animals
FedEx does not accept live animal shipments as part of its regularly scheduled service. Live animals will be accepted when the shipment is coordinated and approved by the FedEx Live Animal Desk. Acceptable shipments include, but are not limited to, zoo animals (to and from zoo locations only) and horses (from gateway to gateway locations only). Household pets, such as domestic cats and dogs, are not accepted. For more information, please contact the FedEx Live Animal Desk at 800.405.9052.

Tegan, you may have had a problem because you were trying to use the regular service to ship (although you did state that you called the Live Animal Desk). I'm guessing that since the wording of the Terms and Conditions is a bit vague in some respects, that it may be up to the discretion of the specific person you deal with at the time. (of course, they will never admit that if you ask.)

My advice would be to find a different method for shipping. (hint-the regular post office is nothin but trouble as well)

Better luck next time.

Old 08-19-2003, 06:05 PM   #5
Laura S.
Thanks Jennifer...looks like we were both thinkin the same thing! LOL

Old 08-19-2003, 06:08 PM   #6
Laura S.
My bad...the URL I posted before doesn't work.

This one should, although the one that Jennifer posted will take you directly to the Terms and Conditions in question. This is just the Fedex homepage.

http://www.fedex.com/us/

Old 08-19-2003, 06:08 PM   #7
loggman88
I called them today and it took them awhile to find out if they took them or not. You can get a business account with them or UPS that allows you to ship through them, but thats pretty expensive for what it is.

Old 08-19-2003, 06:50 PM   #8
Odd Ball Exotics
I realize that they are wishy washy on their policy with shipping. But shipping with them so many times in the past I was shocked to find out they would not ship this time. That's not what made me upset though, it was the additude of the clerk and the manager. To be angry and yelling at me when I was nothing but civil about the situation greatly upset me.

They could have been polite about it, but their additude was uncalled for and I will not be giving them my business again.

Old 08-19-2003, 07:11 PM   #9
Laura S.
Tegan,

I absolutely agree with you that they should not have been impolite regardless of whether or not you kept your cool. Poor customer service is a horrible disease that's sweeping the country. It seems that one can encounter it readily no matter what type of business it may be.

I personally don't take it lightly when I am treated poorly during a business transaction. I suggest that whether you decide to use the service again or not, you file both verbal and written complaints against the individuals you dealt with, both with the management of the branch and corporate. If you didn't get their names, you can call a manager at the location you used, and see if they are willing to help you figure out who you interacted with that day.

Tell them exactly what you are telling this forum; that you have used the service for the same purpose many times before and regardless of whether or not they will continue to ship reptiles for you, you do not deserve to be treated so poorly.

If nothing else, it will make you feel better.

Old 08-20-2003, 02:59 PM   #10
sputnik
Lightbulb BE CAREFULL

Quote:
Tell them exactly what you are telling this forum; that you have used the service for the same purpose many times before and regardless of whether or not they will continue to ship reptiles for you, you do not deserve to be treated so poorly.
I agree, you should NOT be treated badly and Fedex employees should be made aware that YOU are the customer and they are to treat customers with respect!

However, I wouldn't make too many waves in regards to shipping reptiles. The more people that complain about over night carriers the greater the chances are that these carriers will not ship reptiles at all.... which leaves just Delta or driving the animals to their owners (when applicable of course).

Delta is twice the cost of over night carrier service in most cases.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!