Weird woma hatchling any thoughts? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-15-2012, 06:03 PM   #1
Nicole Elliser
Weird woma hatchling any thoughts?

This little girl hatched out a few weeks ago from a clutch of 8.
There was one other just like her but it died shortly after emerging from the egg. We dont really have a whole lot of woma experience with only a few clutches being hatched in the last 3 years. Has anyone ever produce a hatchling with this coloration? Could it be a local thing or does it appear genetic to any of you?
We do plan on doing follow up breeding to figure this out but I just wanted some insight from those of you who know more then we do about womas.
Thanks in advance for your time.
Nicole Elliser
Attached Images

Old 10-15-2012, 07:27 PM   #2
~Just Curious~
I couldn't tell you, but that's a very nice looking snake!
I know there's a ton of variation in womas and I've seen similar ones before, but it's strange how she's so diffierent from her clutchmates. Who knows, hopefully you've got something special and will produce more like it!

Personally, I've always preferred womas as light as possible. Yours already has such neat contrast and I love it's bright head, it'll be interesting seeing if it changes much with age~
Congrats!!!

Old 10-15-2012, 07:32 PM   #3
AbsoluteApril
kinda looks hypo compared to the siblings, very pretty.
Somewhat related, for BHPs I've seen wide ranging appearances in litter pics posted with some babies being very clean high contrast along with more muddied siblings.
congrats on the beauties!

Old 10-16-2012, 04:21 AM   #4
hhmoore
So which one are you considering "weird"?
You've got one that is on the dull side of average, one that tends toward the dark side of the spectrum, and one that is on the light side. None of them seem particularly unusual, IMO. The light one is the best looking one of the group, and will be the nicest looking adult - at least according to my aesthetics.

Unfortunately, the attachments with pics of baby womas I've produced are gone...I only produced one really dark baby, with most of the others having a nice light ground color with clean, distinct bands. A couple were exceptionally light, with fewer and redder bands.

Old 10-16-2012, 12:07 PM   #5
Nicole Elliser
Harald

The light one is the one I considered weird. Like I said above we've only hatched a few womas so far and they have always been dark in appearance. This one is from a female that has never laid for us before so maybe she will through these mixed clutches. I was surprised when out of 8 hatchlings I only had 2 very light orange babies having never seen such a light baby before.
One thing I did notice is she has a clear shed. In your experience do the lighter variations have clear shed?
Thanks for your input.
Nicole Elliser

Old 10-16-2012, 12:32 PM   #6
Focal
Very nice and I think there may be something there. Doesn't appear to have any black pigment. Either that or very nice quality. I'd love to have one that looked that good.

Old 10-16-2012, 12:44 PM   #7
Nicole Elliser
Nick
That's what I was thinking. She doesn't have the black pigment around her eyes or on her nose like the womas I've hatch seem to have and the clear shed added to that made me think hypo but like I said I'm not an expert by no means.
Nicole Elliser

Old 10-16-2012, 12:51 PM   #8
hhmoore
Quote:
One thing I did notice is she has a clear shed. In your experience do the lighter variations have clear shed?
I've never really thought to look, honestly.
Was it the adult female that had the clear shed, or the baby?

As far as the lack of black pigment, that isn't all that uncommon with womas...at least the nice ones. Here are two pics I posted a few years ago (4 different womas).

Old 10-16-2012, 01:01 PM   #9
Nicole Elliser
Harald

Very nice snakes!!! That last pic you posted the one with the rust colored dorsal stripe is very nice. My little one seems to have the same bright orange coloration along her back. As for the shed the baby was the one with the clear shed. Both parents have patterned sheds. The father is a bit more yellow in background color but both appear to be average womas.
Thanks for the pics!
Nicole Elliser

Old 10-16-2012, 04:14 PM   #10
~Just Curious~
I don't know if it's the same with morphs or other species, but a lot of my gophers shed recently - I've noticed that the albinos leave no pattern, the ghosts with hypo genes create a faint pattern, and the normals have the clearest patterned shed of them all. Perhaps it has something to do with their amount of pigment, because it seems like the darker a snake, the darker their shed... *head scratch* I honestly have no idea and am not sure if it always applies, but thought it couldn't hurt toss it out.

Anyways, congrats again! She's neat looking, whatever she is~

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!