Starting to get into Bull Snakes... Questions. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pituophis & Drymarchon Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-08-2018, 03:37 AM   #1
Randall Turner
Starting to get into Bull Snakes... Questions.

So I've kept reptiles for a long time, but I've never kept bulls. I've wanted to work with them for quite a while and finally am getting into them. (picking up a female stillwater hypo next week). Now I'm pretty well clueless on the morph situation within bulls, outside of knowing there are albinos, whitesides, hypos and I believe axanthics. Are the traits all recessive? Are any codom/incomplete dominant? Any pointers that will come in handy for a soon to be new bull keeper? I intend to keep the new girl in a vision 221 with a radiant heat panel (hot spot around 85 cool side mid to upper 70s) I've read they do well in cooler temps, is this a good gradiant or should I lower it for her?

Thanks for any and all information.

Old 07-08-2018, 09:10 PM   #2
elena
In my opinion, 85 is too hot for the hot spot. When I was keeping this species, my hot spot was around 77-78, going down to about 70 on the cool side.

Old 07-08-2018, 09:39 PM   #3
Randall Turner
Thank you for the reply. I will make sure the hot spot stays upper 70s for her. Definitely want to provide the proper setup.

Old 07-08-2018, 10:09 PM   #4
elena
Sure thing. Sorry I wasn't able to give more info on the morphs. All the bull morphs I'm familiar with are recessive, but there might be something I don't know about. Stillwater hypos are one of the most beautiful IMO. I'm sure you'll love your girl.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!