Are you afraid to buy high end snakes due to potential legislation? - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

View Poll Results: Are you afraid to invest in snakes due to potential legislation?
Absolutely 10 10.31%
Somewhat 38 39.18%
Not at all 38 39.18%
Its the economy 11 11.34%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-05-2010, 05:26 PM   #21
bear
As far as i know you will be able to keep what you have but you can not produce with what you have and sell them. So anyway you slice it it will absolutely stop breeding legally to my understanding. correct me if im wrong on that..

but i would hope that all of us would not flinch in our breedings or practice. think of it this way, its all politics.. if a politician says while he is running " i am going to spend MORE money cracking down on drugs and crime" people rally behind him and he scores points, if he were to say " im gonna spend MORE money enforcing people keeping pet snakes" he would be smeared all over for wasting money when people dont have jobs, crime is up, schools closing, etc etc..

simply put even if this bill goes through there is NO money NO man power and NO authority to stop us if we all refuse to conform to it. its just simply not cost effective or a big enough concern for the average citizen. If the average citizen in ohio or illionois or wherever had snakes busting up in their house and eating their children this bill might have some weight behind it but it is simply not the case. If gov. officials feel no pressure from the people who elected them or arent getting they pockets majorly lined it is very hard to get them to move. I highly doubt people are calling up congressmen nationally saying " my neighbor has some snakes DO SOMETHING" lol..

Anyways i encourage everyone to keep calling who they need to call to put the pressure in the other direction and also dont give up, if this bill goes through, make it so costly for them to enforce that they have to undo it.

p.s if this all goes down and you want boa morphs call me!

Old 04-05-2010, 05:31 PM   #22
AbsoluteApril
Good topic! I believe the economy has most certainly had an effect on prices, esp boas, but personally the market/economy and legislation has no effect on what I buy because I buy for myself. In fact, I am half way through a payment plan for the most expensive snake I've ever bought. My snakes are pets first, breeding is secondary.

Old 04-05-2010, 05:35 PM   #23
AtrociousOne
Amen April

Old 04-05-2010, 05:36 PM   #24
Twizted Paths
If it passes I'll be sure to tell my boas that it's illegal for them to procreate & that they need to be sure to use a condom

Oh, I forgot to say before ~ I voted somewhat on the poll since I didn't stop buying & aren't one the bail outs.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:21 PM   #25
brd7666
If these bills pass there will be a lot of people going under. You can talk all of the tough guy talk you want, and do what you want for that matter. Fact is, you get caught, it is a felony. Who wants that on their record?

Old 04-05-2010, 07:39 PM   #26
bear
And all of us who are responsible will do everything we can to prevent these bills from passing. But refusing to be oppressed is not just "tough guy talk", it is the principles America was founded on. And I dont just "talk" I have spent hours calling, faxing, and writing to representatives on this issue, health care, and foreign policy. When your gov. starts forcing things on you and wont listen to its people, you damn well better put your foot down and do what ever you have to or you will find yourself in a far worse situation down the road.

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 04-05-2010, 08:06 PM   #27
brd7666
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear View Post
And all of us who are responsible will do everything we can to prevent these bills from passing. But refusing to be oppressed is not just "tough guy talk", it is the principles America was founded on. And I dont just "talk" I have spent hours calling, faxing, and writing to representatives on this issue, health care, and foreign policy. When your gov. starts forcing things on you and wont listen to its people, you damn well better put your foot down and do what ever you have to or you will find yourself in a far worse situation down the road.

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Thomas Jefferson
Most of us are doing what we can to try to stop the legislation. If it passes, the penelty for getting caught is not worth it. For each snake that you send across a state line, or whatever you do, it is a felony, so two snakes shipped in a box across state lines is two felony's. It's not worth ruining your livleyhood over it or the chance to get a good job, or even losing other rights because you are now a convicted felon. I hope the legislation does not pass, but if it does, a lot of the people running their mouths saying they will continue to do this or that, will not. It won't be worth the risk. If these bills pass, they will never be overturned.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:37 PM   #28
Twizted Paths
It is worth it.

I will not curl up in fear or roll over because they want to pass another unenforceable law that is driven solely by political agendas and fueled by government issued propaganda paid for with my hard earned tax dollars.

There is no real reason for me to stop breeding. My animals are not endangering the safety of the nation or the people in it.

This is not how our founding fathers intended the government to be ran. They stated this & gave us the power to fight back.

To simply roll over in fear is to spit on their collective graves.

Quote:
"Since the general civilization of mankind, I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people, by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations."
-James Madison-
Quote:
"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."
-Thomas Jefferson-
Quote:
“A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.”
-George Washington-
Speech of Jan. 7, 1790, published in Boston Independent Chronicle, Jan. 14, 1790
Quote:
"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force."
-Thomas Jefferson-
Quote:
"Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the government's purposes are beneficent. Men born to freedom are naturally alert to repel invasion by evil-minded rulers, yet the greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding."
-Supreme Court-
Olmstead v US, 1928

Old 04-05-2010, 08:38 PM   #29
bear
Ok lets quit the pissing match and agree to disagree.. If the bill passes you can give up your hobby and call er quits and i will fight for our hobby and continue to breed, end of story.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:40 PM   #30
bear
Annabella, wonderful points! More of us need to understand this and quit lying down because we are scared of the government.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!