Carolina Reptile Exchange, selling Pieds - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 11-11-2003, 01:23 PM   #1
David Reid
Carolina Reptile Exchange, selling Pieds

HCE animals. Anyone taking a chance?

Old 11-11-2003, 01:39 PM   #2
The BoidSmith
David,

Please do a search by HCE*, Eisenman, and Digital Reptiles. There is plenty of information there to help you decide.

Regards,

Old 11-11-2003, 01:58 PM   #3
David Reid
I do not see anywhere....

in my post where I said I was even considering buying them. I simply put HCE and Carolina Reptile Exchange togather, for those who were not aware of it.

I also think it is "interesting" at best to see that all the possible het pieds they have, have the genetic marker everyone is talking about. Interesting, because I have 1.1 100% hets, straight from a top name, and NIETHER have the marking. So for every one of their possibles to have it makes me wonder...

Old 11-11-2003, 03:06 PM   #4
The BoidSmith
David,

I thought you were actually looking into buying some. It's going to be a tough sell for Carolina Reptile Exchange, particularly reading their current ad, and what Harry said a few months ago in one of his last posts in here:

Current ad by Caroline Reptile Exchange:

Quote:
NEED CASH ,LOOKING AT ALL SERIOUS OFFERS
as alot of you know Harry at H.C.E. has not been in the best of health lately,
we are in the process of buying alot(not all)his breeders.
he has alot of holdbacks as well,as I sort thru,I will post breeders,and holdbacks
as allways,genetics will be guarenteed for the life of the animal,both by Harry ,and my storea double guarentee!
live arrival plus 10 days,
paypal is my favorite,but money orders SENT OVERNIGHT ok
you can call us with Questions,his son will be helping me with the transition,and this years breeding,(803)548-8BOA
here is whats currently available
all prices include shipping !

.4 66% het pieds
600-800 grams (all show het genetic marker)
.2 10/17/01
.1 12/03/01
.1 02/08/01
$1100 ea

.2 100% het pied
1100 grams 5/11/01
825 grams 5/11/01
$3000 on the big one(shes in with our male now)
$2400 on the smaller
take both $4000
.4 100% het pieds
aprox 125-150 grams
.2 6/01/03
.2 7/07/03
$1400 ea or $4000 for all 4
these will be in the store this weekend
for monday shipping overnight(included)
Harry's post a while ago:

Quote:
our original name was digital reptiles,that partner and I split in sept 02,he kept the name ,I became HCE
my SON,Bruce,helped with phone calls and shipping till jan 03,he is now on his own.
he does have some of my animals.Bruce is no longer associated with me in any way

our original hets were purchased localy from a broker known as Rattley reptiles.
we have since purchased 4 pieds,ands 3 other hets
we produced 3 cluches of 66s last year ,from our 1.4 hets,resulting in 4 pieds,as well as 1 cluch of 100%s from our male visual to a normal female(late in the year)
this year we produced the same so far exept on 2 pieds,and 2 cluches of pied to pied
WE WILL NOT REPOND TO ENTRAPMENT EMAILS,WHICH ARE ONES WE FIND BEING 2 FACED AND RUNNING TO THE BOI WITH WHATEVER IS SAID
it is my policy to only post and give pictures of animals which have eaten
we will not ship to ANYONE,regardless of who they think they are,without payment!
we cover genetics for life,
these statments do NOT hold true for either of my 2 sons who are currently in the business
why is my sons record having bearing on me?
Harry clearly stated a while ago that he could not guarantee for life the genetics of the animals either of his sons were selling.

Regards.

Old 11-11-2003, 03:34 PM   #5
David Reid
You bring up another interesting point...

one that I missed, about his son. I feel sorry for anyone who spent big bucks on animals that may not prove out. Has anyone proved out any hets purchased from HCE or known affiliates?

Old 11-11-2003, 04:38 PM   #6
The BoidSmith
David,

His baby hetero for pieds started to show up in the market early this year. It would be fair to say they are not going to prove out probably until 2005. Even if those who bought heteros don't get pieds in their first clutch, they should try again the following year (odds!). So we won't know the outcome probably until 2006. Hopefully everything will go fine for those that bought the heteros as there is a lot of time and money invested.

Regards.

Old 11-11-2003, 04:45 PM   #7
gmherps
I was actually thinking of buying some hets too. But you know the saying: If it sounds to good to be true it probably is.
I can't remember where I say it, but I clearly recall seeing somewhere where it said to basically stay away from these guys. Their prices are "TOO GOOD FOR ME" Maybe someone will come on here with more info.
Thanks,

Old 11-11-2003, 08:15 PM   #8
Adam Block
Quote:
I was actually thinking of buying some hets too. But you know the saying: If it sounds to good to be true it probably is.
Those were my thoughts, I spent more money on less animals but know for sure the genetics. I haven't heard anything bad about either and my thoughts were they are on the up and up but I see no reason to risk it so I went with people I knew.

Old 11-11-2003, 08:32 PM   #9
gmherps
That's my theory. Buy from a reputable person, who has references or just someone whom you can trust, and all should be alright. But the prices on their hets were just too low. Low enough to throw up a red flag.

Old 11-11-2003, 09:00 PM   #10
David Reid
It is not just the prices...

It looked as though he had a receipt from a year when he was Digital Reptiles, but the receipt had his new name HCE on it, or something like that. It all just looked "suspect" at best.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
bruce eisenmann