Carolina Reptile Exchange, selling Pieds - Page 7 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 06-09-2005, 11:50 PM   #61
Suncoast Herpetological
For an extra $50 they can get Harry to sign the paperwork from beyond the grave.

What a pathetic bunch of scumbags. May their animals be infested with mites the size of Volkswagons!

Old 06-10-2005, 01:47 AM   #62
snakegetters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncoast Herpetological
What a pathetic bunch of scumbags. May their animals be infested with mites the size of Volkswagons!
Why in the world would you wish any more suffering on their animals?

The animals at CRE are already abused and suffering. They don't deserve any more because they belong to abusive people. That makes about as much sense as saying you want to punish the rape victim along with the rapist.

Old 06-10-2005, 01:57 AM   #63
PaulSage
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakegetters

The animals at CRE are already abused and suffering. They don't deserve any more because they belong to abusive people. That makes about as much sense as saying you want to punish the rape victim along with the rapist.

WHOA....

First of all (and I'm not usually one to post such strong reactions...) I'm pretty sure John was JOKING. I doubt (even though I don't know him) that he truly wishes for their reptiles to be infested with parasites.

Secondly, to even THINK of comparing his JOKE to rape is appalling. IF John was sincere with his statement about mites, an easily treated and quick-recovery ailment pales in comparason to the life-long trauma and emotional distress of rape victims. Shame on you.

Old 06-10-2005, 05:13 AM   #64
speedingbandit
Could Barry White be involved in this?????

Its his area code as far as phone no..Anyone around his area is probably as inbred as he is... not to mention broke. I recently had the privilege of watching him squirm in court...hahahahaah...he looks like forrest gump and pee wee herman had a hatchling.

Old 06-10-2005, 11:15 AM   #65
Wilomn
Yeah, I sort of thought humor was involved, especially with the "size of volkwagons" thing.

Have a cup or two of caffine Tanith, and maybe it'll be funnier on the second read through.

Old 06-10-2005, 11:17 AM   #66
snakegetters
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulSage
First of all (and I'm not usually one to post such strong reactions...) I'm pretty sure John was JOKING. I doubt (even though I don't know him) that he truly wishes for their reptiles to be infested with parasites.
Joke or not, a statement like that illustrates an attitude in our community that is worth discussion. Reptiles are not considered worthy of any respect or consideration as living creatures. They are merely business commodities whose health and welfare matters only if it affects their commercial worth. It is acceptable to wish harm (or perhaps even to do harm) to reptiles in order to punish people for bad behavior. That is the attitude that is accurately illustrated here, and I think that really needed to be said aloud.

I'm sure that the poster on this thread meant it to be a joke. I wish it was only a joke, but anyone who has been around the herp industry for any length of time knows that it isn't.

Quote:
Secondly, to even THINK of comparing his JOKE to rape is appalling. IF John was sincere with his statement about mites, an easily treated and quick-recovery ailment pales in comparason to the life-long trauma and emotional distress of rape victims. Shame on you.
You are entitled to your opinion, but in my opinion this attitude in our community is an issue that deserves very serious thought and consideration. The individual case of a snake with mites cannot fairly be compared to an individual rape victim, but the general comparison of punishing the abuse victim rather than the abuser is one that definitely fits.

In any case, mites the size of Volkswagons would hardly be an easily treated or quick-recovery ailment in a snake. Does Reptile Relief come in the 50 gallon "car wash refill" size?

Old 06-10-2005, 12:25 PM   #67
Jim O
Tanith, you speak as though John was one of those who
Quote:
illustrates an attitude in our community that is worth discussion. Reptiles are not considered worthy of any respect or consideration as living creatures. They are merely business commodities whose health and welfare matters only if it affects their commercial worth. It is acceptable to wish harm (or perhaps even to do harm) to reptiles in order to punish people for bad behavior. That is the attitude that is accurately illustrated here, and I think that really needed to be said aloud.

I'm sure that the poster on this thread meant it to be a joke. I wish it was only a joke, but anyone who has been around the herp industry for any length of time knows that it isn't.
I've met John in person and I have seen how he treats his animals. His displays weren't clean, they were mmaculate, as were his animals. Now it's true that John has a herp breeding "business" but I also know that he works full time and that is how he "pays the bills" not from selling herps.

Now look at what John actually said
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncoast Herpetological
For an extra $50 they can get Harry to sign the paperwork from beyond the grave.

There are three sentences. The first sentence ("For an extra $50 they can get Harry to sign the paperwork from beyond the grave.") is clearly a joke. The second sentence ("What a pathetic bunch of scumbags.") is a commentary on the people involved at CRE. The third sentence ("May their animals be infested with mites the size of Volkswagons!") sounds like a joke to me (the "size of Volkswagons" phrase being the giveaway). It's like when FDR said "A pox on both your houses!". I don't think he wished smallpox or the like on the two fueding parties. Likewise I am quite sure that John does not wish their reptiles any ill.

I don't disagree that there are many that treat their reptiles only as commodities or profit centers. John is not like that and you are barking up the wrong tree. Now in case you have trouble with that I am not saying that you are a dog. Do you get the difference?

Old 06-10-2005, 12:26 PM   #68
Jim O
*immaculate

Old 06-10-2005, 03:02 PM   #69
snakegetters
What part of "I'm sure the poster on this thread meant it to be a joke" was hard to understand? I was not impugning Suncoast, or anyone else on this thread with the exception of the convicted animal abuser who is its primary subject.

I felt that the issue itself was worth pointing out, even if the person who brought it up was only making a joke. What we write is a powerful influence on the way we think, and I would like people to actually think about this particular attitude in our community. Certainly not all of us share that viewpoint, but it does exist and I feel that it is not something that we can simply ignore or accept. That's why I pointed it out.

Old 06-10-2005, 03:14 PM   #70
Jim O
Quote:
What part of "I'm sure the poster on this thread meant it to be a joke" was hard to understand? I was not impugning Suncoast, or anyone else on this thread with the exception of the convicted animal abuser who is its primary subject.

I felt that the issue itself was worth pointing out, even if the person who brought it up was only making a joke. What we write is a powerful influence on the way we think, and I would like people to actually think about this particular attitude in our community. Certainly not all of us share that viewpoint, but it does exist and I feel that it is not something that we can simply ignore or accept. That's why I pointed it out.
So you are preaching to the faithful? And no, I don't mean that you are a preacher. Or are you merely trying to back out of a corner? This is what you said to John.
Quote:

That makes about as much sense as saying you want to punish the rape victim along with the rapist.
I can see the reverse lights now and here the beep, beep, beep. You overreacted to what John said. Grow up, admit it, and git along little dogie. And no, I am not implying that you are a motherless calf either.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
bruce eisenmann