Does anyone have experience with Pipa pipa in captivity? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Amphibian Discussion Forum

Notices

Amphibian Discussion Forum General talk about amphibians of any type.

Old 06-11-2017, 12:38 PM   #1
Dyscophus antongilii
Does anyone have experience with Pipa pipa in captivity?

Hi All,

I was recently at a local reptile store (Yes, this is like a moth to a flame. ). Of course, I went right to the amphibian section. I saw a tiny Pipa pipa toad.

I was both enamored and frightened by this particular specimen. I have always loved this species since my youth. Plus, never saw one for sale/in captivity. But, it was tiny... so so tiny.

This particular specimen, could sit on my thumb nail. So, I was very hesitant. Since, I don't like small anything. Let alone, a species I have never had in my collection. But, I keep thinking about it.

I was told they are very similar to Xenopus laevis regarding care requirements. They just need a "tannin leaf". Plus, Earthworms (I assume cut into almost microscopic pieces), Calciworms (I assume fed in the same fashion as the worms), and another prey item that escapes my memory. I was told room temperature is fine, when I asked about heat.

That is all the information I have. How does that sound as a "care guide" for Pipa pipa? Does anyone have hands on experience with this species? If so, would you mind sharing your experience with the species?

If anyone wants to see, how tiny the specimen was, I have two pictures. They are just cellular phone picture's. So, they are not "crisp and or vivid".

Thanks for reading and the help!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!