Repti Heat Cable and plastic - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 08-29-2017, 05:01 PM   #1
JColt
Repti Heat Cable and plastic

OK, So I ordered a 39 ft of repti heat cable. I had watched some reviews but after I get it the manual says do not use on plastic!

I planned on using 3 loops across back about 2 in apart, 8 feet each way of heavy duty plastic shelf to sit 4 plastic tubs on and hooked to thermostat. The bins have feet on them and cable makes contact slightly. They wouldn't crush cable. This is a temporary set up until early spring. Below is photo of shelf and bins

Yea or nay? I was planning on covering with aluminum tape. I have never used cable before and it says on glass only but many others are using. Thoughts please and thanks!

Old 08-29-2017, 05:03 PM   #2
JColt

Old 08-31-2017, 09:38 PM   #3
DLenaRuth999s
long story short...
I had to tub a bunch of snakes temporarily, that ended up being for 3+ months.
1. Make sure you regulate cable with a t-stat
2. If you lay the cable between the shelf and the bins, I'd think it will melt/warp the shelf because I initially had my bins sitting on PVC and the heat cable marred the PVC.
3. I ended up setting 1/2 or 3/4 inch styrofoam on the pvc to protect it, laid the cable on the styrofoam, then set the bins on the cable.
-the bins were always fine...no melting or warping or smell
-I had to monitor the styrofoam and shift the cable every 4-7 days to a fresh part of the styrofoam because it was "melting" the styrofoam (the cable was slowly sinking into the foam)
-I had to religiously monitor temps in the bins, even with a t-stat, because the bins were sitting out, not in a rack, so ambient air was a major factor, as well as the cable slowly sinking into the styrofoam so that meant the cable was slowly moving farther away from the bottom of the bin.
-I put a sheet over the bins (not near cable, to help regulate bin temps
This was less than ideal to say the least.
*****I later saw a YouTube video of a guy using a piece of plywood on a plastic shelf and affixing flexwatt to the plywood. That might? work with cable heat?

Old 09-03-2017, 12:59 PM   #4
JColt
Thanks Darlene, I have 1/2 osb board that I'm going to use with Panduit cable clamps to hold in place. Thanks for responding!

Old 09-03-2017, 01:31 PM   #5
DLenaRuth999s
Oh sure. I don't know too much, mostly costly trial and error, but I try to help. Have a good holiday!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!