Pituophis ??? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Field Collecting/Observing

Notices

Field Collecting/Observing Sightings of herps in the wild, where-tos and how-tos, as well as photos of herps in their native environment.

Old 07-14-2006, 06:58 PM   #1
crotalusadamanteus
Pituophis ???

Was surveying in West Texas right at the N.M border, a mile or so East of I-10 early this morning. I happened upon a Pituophis melanoleucus affinis (Sonoran Gopher snake) on the job site. I didn't have my camera, so I caught it with the intentions of getting some pics later, and letting it go afterwards. Well, it got pretty darn hot, and I just kept thinking I was going to cook that snake if I didn't let it go, so I did it and got no pics.

My question is this...........Never seen one like this before. (really regret not having pics) It was normally marked, except VERY reduced patterns and colors. Reminded me of a ghost boa instantly. It was definately hypo, (in the sense it had ZERO black) but even the over all color was barely what you'd call tan. Maybe closer to cream color. Not a lick of black and barely any dark browns. I am most certain it was a Sonoran too. Like i said, i wanted pics, but i was afraid I'd kill it with no safe way of keeping it in the work truck.

Anyone ever encounter one like this out in the field? Are there even any morphs on the market? I haven't looked do to no need.

I'll be taking My camera from now on, and perhaps a container, that's for sure. would love to see that one again tomorrow. I put him in a hole and he went underground. Mostlikely it will leave tonight though.

Any info would be great,
Rick

Old 08-15-2006, 04:52 PM   #2
Palmetto Reptiles
"Hypo" west Texas integrades

I saw two that were near "hypo" from the Study Butte, Texas area. I think Shannon Brown has one from near that area that has a greatly faded pattern. I have hopefully included a pic of the first one we found that was unfortunately a DOR. Other was pretty similar in appearance.
Attached Images

Old 08-15-2006, 06:42 PM   #3
crotalusadamanteus
Hey Daryl,
First off, welcome to Fauna. Did you join just to post this one post? LOL I feel honor'd.

As for the sonoran gopher, the one you have shown there has a whole lot more color than the one I found at work. I swear if it was a Boa, I would say it was ghost 100%. It resembled one that much, except it was definately a gopher snake. LOL
Sure wish I could have kept it around for some pics. Probably never see one like that again.

Nice specimen you have there. Too bad about the DOR part. Seems always the nicest one you come across are DOR. Really sucks.

Rick

Old 09-15-2006, 12:10 PM   #4
Palmetto Reptiles
Not sure if you are still watching this thread, but here goes anyway. I have aquired a breeding group of really light colored sonorans from West Texas. I will forward you a photo next week after I snap a few. They are much much much lighter than the picture I posted. Very cool looking animals.

As far as joining to post, lol, yes I did, but I had been needing to join for over a year, I just never did.

Old 09-15-2006, 06:27 PM   #5
crotalusadamanteus
feel free to send away. Always enjoy looking at snakes of most any kind.

rick@sunsetbci.com
Rick

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!