Not good! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pituophis & Drymarchon Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-30-2004, 04:57 PM   #1
epidemic
Not good!

I'm not certain whether any of you have seen the website of a German Drymarchon enthusiast named Jurgen Schulz-Stoppel, in case you haven’t, here’s the URL:

http://www.js-reptiles.de/engl/indigonattern.php

Take a moment to scroll down and look at the D. m erebennus and D. m rubidus he has pictured. While I believe the D. m rubidus just tweaks by as such, I feel as though the D. m erebennus is a total fraud. I am certain Jurgen is innocent of any wrong doing, but I am afraid he may have been “taken” by some breeder, or dealer lacking scrouples.
I am interested in hearing everyone else’s thoughts, regarding the specimens pictured.

Best regards,

Jeff Snodgres

Old 01-01-2005, 01:25 PM   #2
Douglas Taylor
I agree... whose gonna tell Jurgen the buzz about his animals?

Doug T

Old 01-04-2005, 10:57 AM   #3
oldherper
You know, this has some scary possibilities behind it. Is it possible that some of the European breeders are hybridizing these animals because of a shortage of pure breeder stock?

Old 01-04-2005, 11:48 AM   #4
epidemic
Well,

I have mulled over the possibilities with a few breeders, both here an abroad. The general consensus is that the specimens in question were produced in an attempt to strengthen the captive gene pool across the pond. This astounds me, as our European cohorts typically harbor the best of the best, when it comes to specimens residing within their collections, even culling specimens, deemed unworthy of breeding, on a frequent basis.
While I have yet to receive a response, I did send Jurgen an e-mail expressing my concerns. I also attached some photos of D. m erebennus and D. m rubidus from my personal collection. Should I receive a response, I will let everyone know.

Best regards,

Jeff Snodgres

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!