Exactly on her due date - babies and PHOTOS - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-03-2008, 06:44 PM   #11
crotalusadamanteus
Too bad about that first still born. It sure woulda been a nice critter.

I don't think either are too young this time around. I'd try a different male next time if you can, and see if you have similar results. Could be the male is not that potent, or maybe they weren't left together long enough as a possibility for the high slug count.

But you got some nice ones out of it. The twins thing is pretty cool. I have yet to encounter that. I'd have to keep them just for the sake of it. LOL

Congrats, and thanks for sharing.
Rick

Old 07-05-2008, 10:21 AM   #12
liquidleaf
Yeah, the two are twins - they both had umbilicals going to the same yolk. It's really weird though - you'd think they'd be identical then, but their markings are different. So... fraternal? One of the twins worries me, very small and thin and doesn't hold his head up much. Seems a little better today, though.

The two small less-responsive babies died their first evening, neither left the sack (I tore the membrane open over their heads).

The three larger babies are finally starting to move around today and flick their tongues, so that's good! Do they generally take that long to start moving around? I'm wondering if they were all a bit premature since they all had pretty large yolk sacks.

Momma fed last night. She's still very nasty (she is typically very tame), even though I cleaned her cage, is it possible she can still smell the babies? She struck the cage door three times at me this morning... heh. I've never been scared of her.. but 8.5 feet of angry snake is intimidating.

I think I'll try a different male next year... but I kind of wanted to keep with pure Suris... and I only have the one male (maybe I get to buy one.. muahahaha).

I'm just so happy that the babies are starting to move around and flick their tongues today. Will they get more active after they shed?

Old 07-05-2008, 11:52 AM   #13
crotalusadamanteus
I've had some born with their yolks, and others already absorbed. But I never had any with yolks quite that big, except the two preemies from Aurora this time around. Did they absorb the yolk?

I let them disperse from the sac on their own, and it usually takes 20 minutes to an hour or so sometimes. That's been my experience.

Good luck with the rest of them.
Rick

Old 07-05-2008, 01:57 PM   #14
liquidleaf
The big ones absorbed most of their yolks. The twins detached from their yolk when I moved them to a separate container, so I tied them off with some floss, they may have absorbed a little bit but their umbilicals were also tangled.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!