Help I have a new gargoyle gecko and I dont know what to do - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-20-2007, 01:01 AM   #1
Ewiberg
Help I have a new gargoyle gecko and I dont know what to do

I was given a gargoyle gecko that is about 4 inches long. They said it needed to have infrared light and no heat lamp. What I have been reading has me confused.

It has to be hand fed or it will not eat and only eats a babyfood mixture. They did not tell me how much to feed. But did tell me to feed twice a week. I want to do the best for this animal and I don't want to make costly mistakes. I keep reading but nothing gives much for real information.

Can someone give me some real advice.

Please

Old 04-20-2007, 09:13 AM   #3
Playnwifsnot
Cant gargoyles be fed the same diet as cresties? I would look into feeding Repashy Superfoods, try mixing it with the baby food if your gargoyle readily eats it. But I would offer it more than twice a week. I personally give my guys(well my cresteds) the option to eat daily and fruit baby food once a week and crickets once a week(I just like watching them catch them ).

Old 04-22-2007, 07:58 PM   #4
Dr Alan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewiberg
I was given a gargoyle gecko that is about 4 inches long. They said it needed to have infrared light and no heat lamp.
Infrared? Do you mean ultraviolet? 'Goyles do not need UVB and in most areas do not need supplemental heating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewiberg
It has to be hand fed or it will not eat and only eats a babyfood mixture. They did not tell me how much to feed. But did tell me to feed twice a week.
The Repashy Superfoods MRPs for gargoyles is pretty nearly foolproof. Provide freshly mixed food every two days, or even every three days depending on how humid your enclosures are. If it will accept hand-fed baby food (generally a bad idea) it will accept MRP. Best way to gauge condition is to monitor the weight.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:15 PM   #5
Linda Lawrence2
How do you hand feed a baby Gargoyle???
I just had a baby hatch two days ago. How soon do I feed it?

Old 04-22-2012, 10:40 PM   #6
Dulaney's Cresties N More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda Lawrence2 View Post
How do you hand feed a baby Gargoyle???
I just had a baby hatch two days ago. How soon do I feed it?
it will start eating after its first shed. as for the main ? for this STOP GIVING IT BABY FOOD its causes MBD and can seriousley distort the spine and other bones or even kill the gecko give it crested gecko diet (CGD) pangea has different flavors i use banana. as for lights no you dont need any lights they are nocturnal and only come out at night in the wild so they do not require it. oh and i feed mine every 3 days

Old 04-23-2012, 11:45 AM   #7
Linda Lawrence2
Thank you for your help. Yes, I am using Repashy.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:46 PM   #8
hadenglock
I would just leave it alone completely keep him stress free, offer very small crickets, and repashy food, but dont force it on him, just leave it in the cage. Keeping him hydrated is more critical right now because dehydration is what can lead to loss of appetite, illness, etc in babies.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:14 AM   #9
pakinjak
For hatchling rhacs I place a tiny of CGD in the bottom of a 1 oz deli cup, then turn the cup on it's side and tap it gently on something to thin out the CGD drastically. I'm trying to make it paper thin so I can see even one lick and know they're eating and I place the cup in the enclosure on it's side so they can slide right in and eat. Place it close to where they hide facing them. I normally try to feed them 4-5 days after hatching and don't worry about it too much if I don't see anything. I agree with Haden, leave them alone and don't hand feed. There's just no reason to and you could stress out a young animal and fulfill your own prophecy of going off feed.

Try the feeding method I described and you should be able to see them eat. Also look for poop, the end result of said feeding. And don't worry too much, they'll eat. Just concentrate on your husbandry being correct and the rest will fall into place.

No UVB necessary though. Crickets maybe once a week or so.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!