Am i too soft? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-31-2011, 01:13 AM   #1
sagespyder@yahoo.com
Am i too soft?

i hatched a bearded dragon without a tail one week after the rest of the clutch hatched. the rest of the clutch is eating great and growing fine this one just came completely hatched out of the egg today so it has not eaten yet.

but an i too soft to think about culling this baby hatching without a tail like the rest of its clutch?

i don't think i can cull this baby if it can grow and live like the rest even though it is only missing it's tail.

i want to keep it only as a pet because it is missing it's tail. i don't know if it is me or if it was the breeders but i don't think that this hatchling should be culled.

am i too soft to breed?

that is my true to life situation and i would love your in put. no hating or anything. if you think they should be culled that is your opinion and i will not say anything about it. if you think they should not be culled i will not say anything about that either. it is just your opinion. i have my hatchling and my opinion, i am curious about your opinion.

if i am too soft say so, if not then say so. bearded dragon breeders feel free to post your opinion.

let me know your opinion and if i am doing the right thing or the wrong thing. i can't, after all be offended, by your opinion when i ask.

Old 07-31-2011, 01:37 PM   #2
Beardiefreak26
i would not cull this dragon out but i would not breed it either because if it is born with that then it is probably genetic.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:54 PM   #3
westcoastdragons
There is lots of responsibility in breeding any animal/reptile. No one can say what is best, it is all just opinion. What ethics you follow are only your own. Do what YOU believe is the right thing to do. These things should be weighed in ones own mind not the court of public opinion. And that is just My opinion. Best of luck.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:24 PM   #4
Helenthereef
If a defect isn't affecting life quality, don't cull, just retire to pet status.

If it's something that IS making life difficult or unpleasant for the animal, then you do need to have the determination to cull. Only you can know whether you can bring yourself to do that, but in my opinion it's the ethical responsibility of a breeder.

If you don't feel you could do that with harmful defects, then my advice would be to stick to pet ownership.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:44 AM   #5
DiamondDen
I Agree with Helen 100%

Old 08-01-2011, 01:38 PM   #6
Beardiefreak26
could you post pics of it with the other babies

Old 08-02-2011, 10:17 AM   #7
chris allen
Cull it. What happens if the dragons passes hands somehow or is female and gets bred by someone. My opinion is to do the responsible thing.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:19 PM   #8
jmp745
It would be a good idea to get it x-rayed by a vet to see if there are other problems besides the missing tail. If its just missing the tail, and has no other problems, I dont see why it would be a disaster to keep it alive. Even if someone eventually breeds it, so what? I'm sure lots of people would want little tailess beardies, and its not like its a super functional/necessarily appendage on a beardie. If its not coupled with other problems(very big "if" there) then I see no harm. People jump all over lizards with no scales, but one with no tail should be killed? I just dont see it.

Now if the x-ray shows lots of other health issues, it should definentily be put down.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:05 PM   #9
Jabberwocky Dragons
Quote:
if it can grow and live like the rest even though it is only missing it's tail
If the animal is healthy and only has a cosmetic mutation that does not affect it's quality of life than I see no reason to cull. Like many, if not most breeders, we started because of our love of the animals, breeder quality or not. I wouldn't think twice about culling an animal in pain or with other quality of life problems but to purposefully kill a perfectly healthy animal because of a slight mutation that most likely won't be passed on is a little much. There are many people who have no interest in breeding that would be happy to take that dragon strictly as a pet. Assuming it is healthy and eating now, you absolutely made the right decision.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:09 PM   #10
Helenthereef
Can you post a pic of this baby?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!