Beardie Questions - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-22-2011, 06:43 PM   #1
Johnstud56
Beardie Questions

Ok, so this isnt the first beardie Ive owned & I know their are caresheets out there, however everyone has a different opinion. If you could pick to main vegetables what would they be? I think maybe turnip greens and carrot? I dont plan on feeding crickets but I do plan on buying bulk superworms & maybe frozen pinkies to give him once a week. Temp on the arm side goes from 99 at basking pot to 102 sometimes but thats about it. Cool side is 70. Is that good? Also, I like to give them baths....can I do this 3-4 times a week or is that too much soaking? I dont plan on putting a water dish in the cage.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:07 PM   #2
Titobattilocchi
I give my guys Mustered Greens, parsley, carrots some kiwi, grapes but they seem to really like the mustered greens and parsley more. I also feed Crickets, Roaches, super worms, Wax Worms as treats, I'm getting ready to make Phoenix worms once the weather gets better they are loaded with calcium and vitamins but they are not really worms they are a type of maggot but it makes good use of your left over food that goes bad.

Old 12-23-2011, 02:39 AM   #3
DeMeNtEdDoGz
It varies by dragons personal likes and age. I have some that wont touch certain things everyone else each but it is usually (mustard greens, collards/turnips, kale, exc as their main veggies) some of the tougher leaves of collards and turnips i will not feed to juves. There are several other greens and herbs that they will eat but those are the main, as far as veges go i tend to use yellow squash, fruit most seem to enjoy blueberries as a treat.

I personally think bathing 4 times a week is a bit much, 2 maybe 3 should be all that is needed. I would not recommend a bowl of water in cage, will raise humidity too much but you can also spray/drip water for them out of the cage or someone of mine will come out to drink out of a bowl. I usually bath 1-2 a week.

insections, I personally dont use crickets, I have for juves to transition to new owners but in most cases I stick with dubias as their main staple and a wide assortment of silks, horns, supers, pheonix, exc exc as needed, varying on age.

The queston on themps would vary on age of dragons, on average common concensus is 105-110 on juves and 90-95 on adults.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:40 AM   #4
Gina Gauvin
IMO

Main staple should be greens. Highest calcium is found in collard greens, kale, dandelion greens, mustard greens, turnip greens. I prefer collard greens and kale because the others go bad too quickly. A lot of people say don't use kale because it binds calcium, but the main thing is, not to use the the same thing daily all the time. So I vary. I use Collards and kale mostly, switching daily.
The greens should be about 75% of the salad with the other 25% being a different color or consistency such as carrots, zuchini, greenbeans, squash, pumpkin.
You can add a tiny amount of non-acidy fruit, but they're not big on vitamins and mostly good for hydration. Apples, cantelope,pears.
I start feeding them, finely chopped greens the first week to train them. I keep my temps 105-108 at the highest basking point. I find when I don't use a waterbowl they get dehydrated. They're semi-desert lizards, not desert. Giving a bath once a week for adults is fine. Babies you could do more, but keep in mind, it takes a long time to totally dry out and get warmed up again, so you'd want to do it in the morning and on warm days.
Concerning bugs, I've always preferred crickets, even though they're a bit more work, but, I start losing toes when I use worms. I can go a whole year without losing a toes in hundreds of dragons, but I use mealworms once and there goes 5 toes. Just my luck, but others do better.
You have to be careful with superworms. Their exoskeletons are harder to digest and can bind them if fed too many or too often. If I get them I vary them maybe 3-4 times a week, with crickets in between. And only for adults. This is only my opinion, but it's what works for me. I've been working with them about 13yrs now.

Old 12-28-2011, 02:36 AM   #5
Mreynolds101110
I like Collards, kale mustard greens, dandelion.

Everything else depends on what I bought that week. If I have carrots, zucchini, squash, fruit.. things I use for myself, I'll put aside for their salad as toppers. I also use nature zone beardie bites for salad toppers, some of my dragons go nuts for it.

I use dubia roaches and supers for bug staples... Recently I have a finicky baby that is eating for the most part only repti worms and a few dubia every couple days when I can get her to eat them

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!