LEARNED A SAD & COSTLY LESSON ABOUT BEARDED DRAGONS! - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-08-2010, 12:14 AM   #21
Twizted Paths
The original post is almost two years old

Old 01-08-2010, 12:45 AM   #22
kmarsh
Well to anyone wanting to know of sad lessons with bearded Dragons, I would make the following suggestion. Use electric heat but definately NOT propane. Propane sucks the oxygen out of the air and I lost alot of beardie babies before I realized what was happening as well as a hefty vet bill. I was trying to keep them warm during some very cold spell and keeping my room warm as well. I lost one then two and the next morning another was dying so I took the ones that were left and raced to the vet office to find out what was happening. I noticed after leaving home that the one that was looking like it was dying began to breathe better in the car. Got to the vets office had to wait for her to arrive and every time I went out side it seemed better. She told me that it had passed. I insisted that it couldnt be and wanted it put on oxygen after some debate she did what I asked, later she sent word it was breathing and she was looking in on it. I got to go back and see her standing. Later that evening she called to tell me that it had passed anyways, she had given it some fluids to build it up but my opinion is that the fluid probably collapsed the lungs but we will never know. Bill was over 300.00 I never used her again. Stand up for what You beleive with your animals and learn all You can. They are worth every minute of it.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:22 PM   #23
angie.h
I also noticed that the thread is old....I thought I'd mention one thing though.It may be that some people mistakenly think that a small dragon can be safe with a large one because some of the websites pose a baby right on the head or back of an adult dragon.A person that does not know beardie behavior assumes that because dragons are very docile and easy to handle[ almost friendly] that they have a friendly,parental instinct toward a smaller dragon.Not so !! A large dragon would eat a baby that it has been posed with if given the chance 99% of the time.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:27 PM   #24
hosty
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarsh View Post
Well to anyone wanting to know of sad lessons with bearded Dragons, I would make the following suggestion. Use electric heat but definately NOT propane. Propane sucks the oxygen out of the air and I lost alot of beardie babies before I realized what was happening as well as a hefty vet bill. I was trying to keep them warm during some very cold spell and keeping my room warm as well. I lost one then two and the next morning another was dying so I took the ones that were left and raced to the vet office to find out what was happening. I noticed after leaving home that the one that was looking like it was dying began to breathe better in the car. Got to the vets office had to wait for her to arrive and every time I went out side it seemed better. She told me that it had passed. I insisted that it couldnt be and wanted it put on oxygen after some debate she did what I asked, later she sent word it was breathing and she was looking in on it. I got to go back and see her standing. Later that evening she called to tell me that it had passed anyways, she had given it some fluids to build it up but my opinion is that the fluid probably collapsed the lungs but we will never know. Bill was over 300.00 I never used her again. Stand up for what You beleive with your animals and learn all You can. They are worth every minute of it.
Why not buy a space heater for 20$.. some people

Old 01-08-2010, 09:46 PM   #25
Twizted Paths
Quote:
Originally Posted by hosty View Post
.. some people

Soo, would you be the pot or the kettle?

Thanks for the heads up Kathy. As often as we lose power up here that's good to know

Old 01-08-2010, 11:21 PM   #26
kmarsh
WEllll hosty, some of us aren't know it all gods and the place I had them in that was all we had for heat. I had never heard that propane would be a problem and so that is why I put this out here so others will know from what happened to me. I figured if the propane is safe for us then it had to be ok for my critters. Apparently we can handle the lack of oxygen since our lungs are larger but theirs can't. Even the vet never picked up on this until the last one and I was the one that realized what had to be happening.

You're welcome Anna. I try hard to pass on anything I learn to others especially if it prevents the loss of a pet or a tip that noone told me and that I couldn't find in a book.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:53 PM   #27
hosty
ok ok your correct. I would of done something like that myself. I kind of did jump the gun

Old 01-09-2010, 12:46 AM   #28
kmarsh
No problem we all do this from time to time. Welcome aboard....

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!