200-pound Florida python named 'Ginormica' could reach world-record size - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 07-16-2019, 03:40 PM   #1
JColt
200-pound Florida python named 'Ginormica' could reach world-record size

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/20...TfD?li=BBnbfcL

A 200-pound reticulated python at a Florida zoo already stretches over 20 feet long – but the massive reptile is still slithering toward world-record size, according to a zoo official.

The 6-year-old snake, named Ginormica, is a popular attraction at the Emerald Coast Zoo in Crestview and could live nearly 70 more years, zoo co-owner Rick de Ridder told the Northwest Florida Daily News.

“She’s probably the longest snake in Florida,” said de Ridder, who believes the snake can reach the world-record length of 25 feet in a couple of years.

The record for longest snake living in captivity is held by a 25-foot, 2-inch reticulated python named Medusa, who is owned by Full Moon Productions Inc. in Kansas City, Mo., according to the Guinness World Records website.

Reticulated pythons are known as the world’s longest snake, growing up to 31.5 feet long, according to Encyclopedia Britannica. The species is native to Southeast Asia and is non-venomous. A python is a constrictor and kills its prey by coiling around it and squeezing.

De Ridder, who the late Steve Irwin nicknamed “Rick the Reptile Guy,” told the Daily News that Ginormica’s diet consists of frozen or thawed goats and pigs.

“We feed her 20- to 30-pound animals every two weeks,” he said. “A snake this size, you would never want to teach 'em how to kill anything.”

Ginormica will be featured at the zoo on Saturday for National Reptile Day.

Old 07-16-2019, 04:15 PM   #2
bcr229
Quote:
Originally Posted by JColt View Post
“We feed her 20- to 30-pound animals every two weeks,” he said. “A snake this size, you would never want to teach 'em how to kill anything.”

Trust me, she already knows.

Old 07-16-2019, 08:44 PM   #3
JColt
Yeah this article has a few snickers in it. Frozen or thawed. Shoot, all these years wasting time thawing feeders!

Old 07-17-2019, 12:39 PM   #4
AbsoluteApril
Quote:
and could live nearly 70 more years
Apparently they also think she's a tortoise lol

thanks for sharing!

Old 07-17-2019, 04:07 PM   #5
Lucille
Quote:
“A snake this size, you would never want to teach 'em how to kill anything.”
I'm thinking this deliberate piece of misinformation was included just to proactively quell any anxieties on the part of non reptile folk visiting the zoo.

Old 07-17-2019, 06:20 PM   #6
JColt
I hate seeing all these quotes with my user name, . I know I'm not the brightest guy on the planet but I didn't write the article! lol It does have some doozies in it though.