Adeno Society - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-18-2008, 10:23 PM   #11
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

I just wanted to thank everyone for their support & yes, their questions as well as suggestions.

First off, thank you Michele, for your contribution this month, it was very generous & I appreciate it! Thanks!

Let me address them for you.

While I do realize as I did state on my site, that this is not a perfect system nor is it on a large scale by any means, it IS a start. I mean, if people do not begin to try & change & increase awareness in order to start some standardization then it will never get done. The only way to gather data is to MAKE data. The only way to make data is to begin testing. My goal is simple, I want to help dragons, that is all.

To correct a couple of remarks. I do know that Gina has tested 2 times last year & is beginning her testing now for this year which will be her 3rd testing round. Anthony tested his breeders last year, all except for 2 & they were negative, but, he has decided to retest them all over again for this year. The new breeder Angie, this is her first testing round. We all know of Denise's results & I am very anxious to begin working with her as well.
As of right now, just the breeders are being tested, we will start with that. I think that is fair, considering just getting people to test is going to be a feat in itself. I am sure if I did request the babies be tested, then they would most likely comply, especially if any problems do arise.

As far as expanding to start offering the PCR, yes, I am planning on doing so. One thing at a time, that is all I can do. It is going to be hard enough as it is to get people to do the test at $24 so to ask them to pay $150 or more is pretty much impossible at this point. So, I decided to start with the fecal EM which in my opinion, is very accurate. Yes, it does pick up on other non specific adeno virus' that are non specific to dragons, but it still does not have too many errors. While the PCR is good, it still can have errors too, because it is almost too sensitive in some cases, picking up on everything & sometimes not differentiating between them. Please do not pick me apart on all of this as I have never claimed to be an "expert" in how these tests are reading. I am learning, still. I do know that Lou Ann is very professional & I worked hard on getting the legal form written & approved through the legal department. So, once this gets started & I can evaluate how it is going, then, I will look into contacting Dr. Stacy at the University of Florida regarding joining us in this effort.

As far as contributions & or donations, I have a very limited site. I am making sure that my data is correct in as far as where any donations could be sent to for Adeno virus research to the University of Illinois before I put that information on my site. I could run that by Dr. Stacy as well.

Jean, yes, it most definitely will be very valuable data to be gathering with regards to how consistent everything continues to test. This is needed however, in order to help in the fight against it & hopefully finding a cure or some type of vaccination against it possibly. This is just the beginning I hope. I will do my best in helping everyone out.

As you see, I do plan to cover all of the bases, or intend to try my best to do so. I appreciate the input.

Tracie

Old 01-18-2008, 10:39 PM   #12
puppytoes72
tracie,great post. it IS a very long process that just started and i hope ppl are patient with you and try to understand that this whole system will be perfected over time.
i think we should COMMEND the ppl that are involved in this instead of picking them apart. At least some breeders are taking the chance,stepping forward and testing.Don't they even sign a waiver with lou ann making all their testing public info? i think they deserve applause!

Old 01-18-2008, 10:42 PM   #13
puppytoes72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saladragon
Tracie-

Please don't let the rude comments of some scare you away from helping the rest of us the way you are. Whether those "some" like it or not is of no consequence because no matter what you do, it will never be good enough for the "some". At least you're trying to do something positive, rather than running around picking fights, and that's more than "some" can say.

You've worked hard on this, and I, for one, appreciate it, and commend you for it.

The site looks fantastic, by the way!
Well said Tere! Tracie has put so much time into this. More applause for Tracie!!

Old 01-18-2008, 10:56 PM   #14
diamc
Yes, Tracie, thanks for all your hard, dedicated work. The beardies and their owners thank you for it. Puppytoes, thanks for bringing it to everyones attention so she would get some responses. Hopefully the good ones outweigh the negative comments regarding past problems that occurred. Keep up the good work Tracie.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:02 PM   #15
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

Thanks you all! I appreciate it.
Yes, it is a long process, I wish it was faster, but it is not. Yes, they do sign a waiver or essentially give me permission to post their test results so everyone can keep track. That takes alot of nerve to allow people to see what is going on.
Emotionally what they are putting out into the open, is tremendous. So, their efforts are pricelss for this society. I really can't thank them enough for getting started with me.

Tracie

Old 01-19-2008, 11:45 PM   #16
puppytoes72
" Yes, they do sign a waiver or essentially give me permission to post their test results so everyone can keep track. That takes alot of nerve to allow people to see what is going on.
Emotionally what they are putting out into the open, is tremendous"

kudos to them!

Old 01-24-2008, 04:00 PM   #17
Valley Dragons
Tracie,

You should be commended for taking a proactive approach to gathering information about adenovirus. Obviously there are different views concerning this virus, but we will never be able to come to a definitive conclusion until actual facts are accumulated. The site is an awesome start!

I don't think Jean was trying to be rude...she brought up some good points and valid questions. I wondered many of the same things.

Jamie

Old 01-24-2008, 05:25 PM   #18
Drache613
Hello

Hello Jamie,

Oh thank you. Well, I hope that we can gather enough data to find out what in the world is going on!! It is a start. I had been thinking about it for awhile but finally got off of my butt & got it done!
You are right though, we wont find anything out unless something is started. In the process of all of this maybe another test will come out that will be more accurate. Who knows. If so, then, we can adjust & make changes to better our methods of testing & data compilation. I am open for change when the time comes.
I just thought we should do something, anything to try & get a hold on things right now, if we possibly can.
Thanks again, Jamie, I appreciate it. I promise I will do the best job that I can. Don't hesitate to ask any questions.

Tracie

Old 01-24-2008, 08:50 PM   #19
JimD
Tracie.
Canadians still can not sign up...

Jim

Old 01-25-2008, 07:55 PM   #20
Drache613
Hello

Hello Jim,

I will ask Lou Ann about that next week. She has been busy with coming off of the holidays & half of the staff was off. She broke her arm, too!
So I will shoot her an email tomorrow to see if she can offer any information, or perhaps a business contact to speak to or email.

Tracie

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!