OMG! I hatched a two-headed dragon! - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-17-2008, 09:33 AM   #41
Cat_72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardiepal
Please don't condemn me on this post. Ethical issues always have 2 sides. There will always be the side that says don't breed this female again, freeze this baby and money money money...

On the other side people find something intrigueing about this unnatural result of breeding. I had a one eyed beardie with subsequent neuro issues 6 weeks after birth. He learned to chase his crix, but eventually he had to have silkies because of his issues. I do not believe he was in any pain..or I would with all my heart taken him to my vet and euthanized him. He now has a concrete marker in my garden with his name"Buddy" carved in it.

Is the curiosity bad. Is the genuinely comapssionate nature to see what happens bad?
I am not one to make a godly judment on this predicament. This being said,
I don't think its wrong to want to make money when you breed your beardies. If someone showed unethical, or bs business tactics, it would be known. That being said, I do believe that Jamie has shown her true colors and I believe in those colors. And believe me if someone shows tainted colors I would be the 1st to say so. Take good care all, Respectfully, Beth
Beth,

Please re-read my previous post. I specifically said that there is nothing wrong with making money on your animals.....perhaps you missed that part. I also said that there is NO reason to euthanize the baby, as long as he is doing well, and in no discomfort or his deformity is not making his quality of life lessened. And there is a lot of in-between space between the two "views" you mentioned. I'm truly and honestly glad that you gave your "BuddY" a chance at life! But would you have bred him to see if you could pass that deformity on?

The only thing I have issue with is breeding to purposely produce more babies who will maybe not be so lucky as this one, babies who have a lesser chance of survival and a much greater risk of health issues, either simply out of curiousity or greed.....sure, there may be some that are perfectly fine, but will they too be passing this on to folks who are not wanting to have this issue popping up in their breeding? What are the ramifications in upcoming generations?

It was said that about 75 babies were produced last year alone (minus the few two headers/twins that died before hatching), were all of the buyers made aware of the genetic anomaly this female may be passing on?

Just thoughts to ponder, I guess.

Old 05-17-2008, 10:36 AM   #42
dragonsr#1
Ok I guess I feel in need to put in my 2 cents. First off congrats Jamie, I hope and pray that this little one will live a happy and healthy life. I know that most of you have not seen me say much and I know that I am nowhere near an expert on lizards let alone breaded dragons. I do read a lot on here as I do want to become at least knowable on the dragons, because this is where my love of the lizards is at. My wife has tried me out on all kinds of them but the dragons are the only ones that I have stuck to. As far as everything else goes as someone that has eggs right now and waiting to get babies, I do believe in breeding for money. Lets all face it, that is really why we all do it but on the other hand and I believe in this even more, every egg that gives us a baby is a life and that life should be given a chance to live as long as it is healthy. Why euthanize it just because it is different? I guess being someone that has my dragons as pet first and breeders second I have to say that it is all about the love for them. Yes as I said before we are breeding to make money but really all the money is going to do is pay for the breeding and to make my home full of more and more dragons. Not saying that there is anything wrong with making a living at, in fact I would love to make a living at it. Well with that said again congrats Jamie and I think it is something to brag about. Be happy for your little one and love it like you would love any other.

Matthew

Old 05-17-2008, 10:40 AM   #43
JeffnDes
Well said Mathew!

Old 05-17-2008, 01:34 PM   #44
pdragon
Very cool Jamie! Breeding reptiles truly is a labor of love. Anybody that has been around long enough knows that people that breed just for money don't succeed. You get back what you put into your animals. Jamie, I'll also be producing silks too...maybe even some trans and hypotrans silks if i'm lucky. Hope the little guy does well for you. Josh

Old 05-17-2008, 02:41 PM   #45
Beardiepal
Cat- I am sorry I didn't see all of the posts made while I was possibly typing the one you addressed. It was not directed to anyone...just thoughts. Take good care Beth

Old 05-17-2008, 02:48 PM   #46
JimD
Jamie.
If you ever feel the need to get rid of that dragon let me know. I love the "odd ball" dragons. It will fit right in when the Silks are born.

Jim.

Old 05-17-2008, 04:34 PM   #47
Valley Dragons
update!

Well, I moved the little guy into a cage today with a few of his siblings. I went to dump in the lobster roaches, and he hunted them down and ate 5 - both heads taking turns. I was pretty impressed, since even normal babies can take a day or two before they start eating. I misted him and both heads drank, although one head seemed thirstier than the other. He's a spunky little guy!

Jamie
Attached Images

Old 05-18-2008, 02:50 AM   #48
areptiledisfunction98045
Jaimie, first off congrats this lil dude is awesome! Second I think I have a name for him! Deuce! Whatya think! I think he is the coolest beardie I have ever seen!

Old 05-18-2008, 09:17 AM   #49
Valley Dragons
Quote:
Originally Posted by areptiledisfunction98045
Jaimie, first off congrats this lil dude is awesome! Second I think I have a name for him! Deuce! Whatya think! I think he is the coolest beardie I have ever seen!
Lol, that's a cool name! My kids have named him Bert and Ernie for now, lol. Once I can determine the sex, I might give him a cooler, gender appropriate name, rofl!

Jamie

Old 05-18-2008, 06:55 PM   #50
sairhead21
any updates?

Hey Jamie. How is the little guy doing today?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!