The food police - Page 6 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum

Notices

Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum Survivalism, Livestock, Preparedness, Self Reliant Homesteading, Individual Liberty

Old 03-07-2012, 05:06 PM   #51
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by insignia100 View Post
I absolutely agree that all these could have been avoided if people used common sense. The problem, however, is that many regulations wouldn't be needed if people actually HAD this common sense.

The difference is that I don't believe the rest of us should be restrained for the lack of common sense from others.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:57 PM   #52
insignia100
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithy View Post
The people that I know and sell raw milk would NEVER sell something contaminated. How can this be you might ask? Well, by following nature. I don't drink milk PERIOD. We are the only mammal that drinks another mammals milk, so I find it unnecessary to drink milk. But, the farms that I know selling the product (I look to in the near future) take care of their animals like their friend. When you suckled your mothers teat, was it pasteurized? No, it wasn't. You don't trust farmers? Well, I don't trust most people, whether they be doctors, lawyers, VETS, etc. A true farmer is going to have everyone's best interest in mind. When I sell my turnips, I want my customer to be happy. If they get sick, they are not happy. I know where all of my inputs come from, as opposed to other farmers. Yes, factory farmed milk is probably full of different harmful bacteria, virus, etc., but if the animal is allowed to live, rather than to just produce, they will produce a wholesome product.
Well, thats fine, and I'm sure the farmers do have the best interests of their customers in mind. However, how can you say that letting nature do its thing would prevent contamination of milk with pathogens? Nature gave us brucellosis, salmonella, syphilis, and HIV. Unless they culture all their milk, they simply don't know.

I think the problem is you all are speaking from a political/personal rights point of view, and I'm speaking from a scientific point of view. I know the science behind it, and that knowledge has shaped my opinion on regulations. That's not to say your opinion is wrong, of course, and we all have the right to have our own opinions.

I guess it would be different if you all were like those nutjob health food junkies that say pasteurized milk should be outlawed (which, of course, you are not!).

HOWEVER, I do feel it is unethical for people to feed others these raw products without full disclosure. I guess this depends on whether you believe there is an increased risk or not. The science is there, but I can't make anyone look at it.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:23 AM   #53
keithy
Unfortunately the science is not there. These pathogens, yes, have been around for ever. But, the human gut can digest/destroy them in their most primitive form. Factory farming, however, has lead to the development of stronger, more resistant diseases, bacteria, etc. It has far more micro nutrients in it, than pasteurized milk does. None of the enzymes are destroyed, in the raw form. In the EU, raw milk is readily available, and there are no problems. Like I said before, was your mother's milk pasteurized when you were born?

Would I drink milk from a factory farm raw? As a form of suicide. But, the raw milk in question is not from those farms. Our farming practices are the issue here. We simply are so focused on production that quality is no longer an issue.

Old 06-04-2012, 03:06 AM   #54
Dennis Hultman
Soda bans in New York and bake sales banned in Massachusetts. Government hard at work keeping you safe from yourself.

Old 06-04-2012, 03:54 AM   #55
Clay Davenport
Don't forget the NY ban on public donations of food to homeless shelters run by the city.
Apparently Bloomberg's opinion is that starvation is preferable to being allowed to consume food with too many calories or some extra salt content.

But yet the New Yorkers keep on voting for him.......

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!