Bock...Bock.... - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum

Notices

Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum Survivalism, Livestock, Preparedness, Self Reliant Homesteading, Individual Liberty

Old 05-28-2011, 09:40 AM   #41
Southern Wolf
I got some video this morning... will try to get it uploaded tonight when I get off work.

Old 05-28-2011, 09:35 PM   #42
Southern Wolf
so.... whatcha think?

Old 05-29-2011, 04:24 PM   #43
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
You are correct, that ain't no hen!

Old 05-29-2011, 05:46 PM   #44
Southern Wolf
Im thinking that other one that is squaring off with it... might be a juvie rooster

Old 05-30-2011, 08:19 AM   #45
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
She might be a dominant hen in the making too. Hens will act very roosterish sometimes, but hens only crow when they are too old to lay eggs~ it's a sign of chicken menopause basically and it's where the old saying comes from

Never trust a crowing hen

Edited to add:
Hens do talk and make sounds mostly after they begin laying eggs~ very similair to the sounds your little rooster is making now~ but he is trying to do the whole sticking his neck up, give it his all vocalization AND he has the appearance of a rooster. The larger comb at a younger age, they way that tail sticks up, just the way he carries himself. The others in there still look like hens to me, but they may just not be developed enough yet. Some roosters won't crow until they are pretty old, but the pointy neck and saddle feathers give them away. When you butcher those roosters they almost always have tiny little testicles too, where the early bloomers like your little rooster have great big ones the size of my thumb!

Old 05-30-2011, 08:18 PM   #46
Southern Wolf
That rooster and the other white bird was alot larger than the others when I got them.... prolly a week or two older Im guessing.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:20 PM   #47
Southern Wolf
Drumroll please.......

Here is my first attempt at building a chicken coop.

Old 06-01-2011, 01:29 AM   #48
laterob
That thing is awesome, Kevin! Don't let my wife see. I just finished a second one today, but will put it in my own thread as it's not worthy to be in yours.

Enjoy your fantastic coop (and watch out for geese.....we just got one).

Old 06-01-2011, 02:37 AM   #49
Southern Wolf
I still have some work to do on the coop. Still got to build a lay box and get the real roost built. Right now they only have a temp roost.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:17 AM   #50
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
Wow! It's fantastic!
the foundation~ it's it raised or something and thats why the panels on the bottom? Are you planning to board in the screened area in the winter?

That little coop is seriously sweet. Got any in progress pics we can see?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!