Bock...Bock.... - Page 6 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum

Notices

Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum Survivalism, Livestock, Preparedness, Self Reliant Homesteading, Individual Liberty

Old 06-01-2011, 10:05 AM   #51
Southern Wolf
I dont have any 'in progress' pics... my birds had outgrown thier enclosure in the house... so I was trying to get it built as fast as possible.

Since the ground is not even close to being level I had to put it on some type of foundation. Originally I was gonna use a concrete retaining wall, but when I found out I was going to be shelling out close to $500 for the concrete I nixed that idea. I couldn't justify that on top of what I had already spent.

What I ended up doing was putting 4x4 posts in the ground on the corners (that run up to the top of the walls) and then a smaller 4x4 post in the middle (to support the bottom wall plate). I ran a 2x4 (7.5 inches from the ground on the lowest side) from post to post on a level plane all the way around, and then ran a 2x4 right along the ground level. This gave me level to build my wall from and also gave me a place to screw the tin to.

Underneath the tin on the West and South side (the sides you can see in the photo) is a 10 inch piece of alumunum flashing. This was put into the ground and nailed to the bottom 2x4 to keep the water from running into the coop. Also nailed to the bottom board and then stretched out about 18 inches is some chain link fence. This was put under the surface of the ground slightly....and will stop anything from digging into the coop.

As for the screened part. I still have to get more supplies, but I will be building a 2x4 framework and then attaching opaque wall panels to the frame. It will be hinged at the top, and during the summer months it will be raised up and held in place with a couple of brace poles. (This will act as an awning to help keep the rain out of the coop since the wall is facing south.) Those poles will be attached to the building. In the winter I will pull a pin out of each pole, fold up against the building and lower the panel. Now they will act as a window and allow light into the coop, but keep the cold wind out of the coop. With it being on the south side of the building... it will also allow it to warm up in the mornings.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:27 AM   #52
Southern Wolf
Ok... got a question for those of you that raise chickens. I have read a couple books and sites that claim you're not supposed to let baby/juvie birds eat the laying feed because of the extra calcium in it for your laying flock.

How do you manage this if your letting the hens go broody or if you're introducing the next generation into your existing flock?

Old 06-06-2011, 11:13 AM   #53
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
The feeders are raised slightly so they are level with the hens backs~ makes them spill less. Little chicks can not reach the feed. For little chicks I have a creep feeder I made~ basically a wood box with fencing across one side~ chicks fit through the hens do not. I put chick starter in there. Sometimes I do. Sometimes I get lazy and expect momma hen to hussle for a bug a or a grain to feed those babies. They hussle pretty good and the chicks that survive rain, deep waterers and general mishap become fine mommas themselves.

Also~ my hens are free range so I feed All Stock pellets and cracked corn in the summer~ just enough to keep them coming back to the hen house but still be hungry looking for a bug. I have discovered that is not enough protien in winter (no good bugs out) so you have to feed the more expensive layer pellets then. But spring, summer and fall free range hens and chicks do fine on an all stock feed and what they can hussle.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:20 AM   #54
Southern Wolf
Can you feed the layer feed before they actually begin laying. Will the extra calcium cause problems? For my own personal consumption... I prolly only need around 5 or 6 hens... but my chicken house can house quite a bit more. I could use that extra space to raise meat birds... but only if the food will not be an issue. Otherwise I will have to build another chicken house.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:15 PM   #55
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
I've read what you read about not feeding the layer pellets to younger birds. I don't worry about it and I don't have any evidence of a problem in my birds~ but mine are free range so that may make the difference. I would suggest you get the feed for meat birds~ and add a feeder or tray with some granny grit and oystershell (granite and calcium supplement) for the hens to pick at as they need.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:19 PM   #56
Southern Wolf
Yeah.... with mine basically beeing cooped all the time.... that kinda bothered me. That's why I had planned on multiple coops. I'd love it if I could get away with less structures though. They aint even remotely cheeep.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!