Printable Gun Clips - Page 6 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum

Notices

Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum Survivalism, Livestock, Preparedness, Self Reliant Homesteading, Individual Liberty

Old 05-22-2013, 02:36 PM   #51
AbsoluteApril
more general 3D printing news:

NASA awards grant for 3-D food printer

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow...194050661.html

Some 3-D printer food made from meal worms

"Some alternative food source options that may be used with the printer include algae, duckweed, grass, lupine seeds, beet leaves and even insects, according to TNO Research, which is working with Contractor on the project."

Old 05-22-2013, 03:24 PM   #52
WebSlave
That certainly would be a cruel joke to play on some people at a party....

Old 05-22-2013, 09:48 PM   #53
Metachrosis
Honey . . . . . you need to print up some more dog treats this weekend . . . . .

Old 05-23-2013, 12:11 AM   #54
WebSlave
Well, when we can print up a bushel of steamed blue crabs with one of those things, put me down for one.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:05 PM   #55
Metachrosis
You are so RIGHT!! soft shell to boot!!

Old 10-25-2013, 11:42 AM   #56
AbsoluteApril
From Yahoo news today:
"Police play down 3D printer 'gun parts seizure"

London (AFP) - Police appeared to downplay a raid on Friday after claiming to have seized suspected 3D-printed gun parts from a shop in Manchester.

Greater Manchester Police (GMP) found a 3D printer and what they thought resembled a plastic magazine cartridge and a trigger during a raid on a shop in the city's Baguley area.

After initially hailing the seizure as "a really significant discovery," police later released a second statement in which Assistant Chief Constable Steve Heywood said: "We need to be absolutely clear that, at this stage, we cannot categorically say we have recovered the component parts for a 3D gun."

The 38-year-old owner of the shop was released on bail after being questioned.

The raid was part of a crackdown on organised crime, Operation Challenger, launched by GMP.

The owner of the shop, speaking on condition of anonymity, said parts which were alleged to be a trigger and magazine for bullets were in fact parts of his 3D printer, which is used to make items like cake decorations.

"They are off their heads," he added. "I am not making anything illegal."

A plastic component that British police suspect to be a magazine that could be used to make a viable 3D-printed gun, seized by police during searches as part of an operation in the Baguley area of Manchester on October 24, 2013

Old 10-25-2013, 05:00 PM   #57
WebSlave
I guess this will be another technology suppressed and repressed by government fiat because of what it MIGHT be used for.

I was reading just the other day where someone is trying to use something similar to this 3D printing technology to use as a method of scanning and transmitting DNA samples long distance and rebuilding them at the destination. Wonder where THAT technology will be in 50 years?

Old 11-08-2013, 08:48 AM   #58
bcr229
Well, this won't make a lot of people happy...

World's First Printed 3D Metal Gun Successfully Fires Over 50 Rounds

I see this technology useful not so much for making whole guns, but for making replacement parts that just aren't available any more for older guns.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:31 AM   #59
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
Well, this won't make a lot of people happy...

World's First Printed 3D Metal Gun Successfully Fires Over 50 Rounds

I see this technology useful not so much for making whole guns, but for making replacement parts that just aren't available any more for older guns.
It would definitely make in interesting revolution in machine shop and gunsmithing operations. But I think the limiting factor is always going to be the tolerances of the parts created for a lot of objects. When they can create a target grade slide for a 1911, then I'll be very impressed.

Old 11-09-2013, 04:53 PM   #60
Dennis Hultman
Texas firm makes world’s first 3D-printed metal gun

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/11/...ted-metal-gun/
Quote:

Depending on who you are, where you hail from, and where you stand on guns, 3D printing and related issues, this bit of news will either thrill and astound you, terrify you, or compel you to say “meh.”

But here goes: A company by the name of Solid Concepts has made the world’s first metal gun using a 3D printer.

Based out of Austin, Texas, the 3D-printed metal pistol made by Solid Concepts is based on the Browning 1911 firearm. Solid Concepts set out to make this gun in an effort to prove that they can make weapons that are fit for “real world applications.”

To make the gun, Solid Concepts utilized a manufacturing process known as direct metal laser sintering, or DMLS. DMLS is a 3D manufacturing process used to make metal parts for the aerospace and medical industries. The application for DMLS in the latter example is specific to surgical tools, meaning it’s perfectly suited for the creation of precision firearms.

“The whole concept of using a laser sintering process to 3D Print a metal gun revolves around proving the reliability, accuracy, and usability of 3D Metal Printing as functional prototypes and end use products,” says Solid Concepts’ vice president of additive manufacturing Kent Firestone. “It’s a common misconception that laser sintering isn’t accurate or strong enough, and we’re working to change people’s perspective.”

While 3D printers are becoming more and more affordable all the time, don’t get the wrong idea: you can’t just slap down a couple thousand bucks for a MakerBot 3D printer and hope to make your own firearm from the comfort of your own garage.

“The industrial printer we used costs more than my college tuition (and I went to a private university),” said Alyssa Parkinson, a Solid Concepts rep. ”And the engineers who run our machines are top of the line; they are experts who know what they’re doing and understand 3D Printing better than anyone in this business.”

In other words, there’s a big difference between the gun made by Solid Concepts and the weapons made by Defense Distributed, a Texas-based firm that designed guns intended to be built using 3D printers in your home.

Check out this demo of Solid Concepts Browning 1911 pistol below:

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!