Does Anyone know the venomous laws in NEW YORK STATE - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-25-2004, 12:56 AM   #1
grispy
Does Anyone know the venomous laws in NEW YORK STATE

Hey all, I'm wondering if anyone knows what the laws in NYS are for venomous and venomoid. I know some places you need a permit, some its illegal and others its perfectly legal. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 05-25-2004, 05:52 AM   #2
Mustangrde1
Its VENOMOUS LAWS there is no such thing as a venomoid in any stat or country's laws Naja naja is Naja naja there is no such thing as Naja voida. Contact your States DNR for specific laws and in NY you need to contact your local County as well.

Old 05-25-2004, 02:52 PM   #3
snakegetters
Before you consider purchasing a venomoid, you might want to learn how many snakes suffer and die so that some impatient person can have a "pet" cobra without bothering to learn how to house or handle it properly.

To make things even more interesting, not all snakes sold as venomoids are actually unable to envenomate - and some may start out that way but don't stay that way. Venomoids are just not a good idea all around.

Some questions and answers about venomoids: http://www.snakegetters.com/demo/vet/venomoid-faq.html

Dead albino monocled cobra at Hamburg, victim of amateur venomoid hacking: http://www.snakegetters.com/demo/vet/venomoids3.html

Old 05-26-2004, 02:32 PM   #4
psilocybe
I'm basically going to re-itterate what Tanith and Scott said, DO NOT GET A VENOMOID! Consider how many snakes died for the one "healthy" one you purchase...99.9% of these animals are operated on in someones garage with NO pain medication, no anesthetics, $2 scalpels, and tools from Home Depot. Don't be fooled thinking that these snakes are done by professionals...well, they are done by professionals...professional animal abusers. Also, as mentioned, since these snakes are usually butchered by amateurs, you could be playing a deadly game of chance if your "venomoid" isn't truly a completely altered snake...remember that most of these guys learn their trade from the internet and other amateur hackers, there is no "venomoid school" where these guys get degrees and graduate...and as Tanith described in an earlier post (go down to "I had my vet do a venomoid surgery today"), even professional vets can have a hard time distinguishing venom glands from other tissues...basically, if you get bit by a "venomoid", you still have a chance at being envenomated! Not a good thing, especially since you won't be prepared for it. Take the time to learn how to properly care for these amazing animals without taking shortcuts...it takes time and patience and dedication and A TON of responsiblity, but IT WILL BE WORTH IT. Getting a venomoid is a cheap thrill, and most of the people who buy them are the inexperienced, "I saw a mamba on Crocodile hunter and I want one" kind of people...and they have very little respect from the true venomous community. This doesn't have anything to do with egos, it has to do with the senseless butcher of animals that is venomoid surgery. Hope you make the right decision.

Abhishek Prasad (AP)

Old 06-06-2004, 02:11 AM   #5
grispy
Warning! CALM DOWN!!

Hey guys, I'm not considering venomoid. I just wanted to know the laws. And Mustangrde1, venomoid laws do exist. In some areas you can legally own a venomoid reptile but not venomous. I am against the venomoid procedure. I know it is cruel and inhumane. I have seen some pretty bad foul ups associated with it. I JUST WANT TO KNOW THE LAWS IN NEW YORK STATE.

Old 06-11-2004, 05:29 PM   #6
Gregg M
You can not keep any species of venomous snake without the proper license..... You can not own timbers or norther coppers unless you have the proper, separate license for protected species...... Not easy to get at all..... All species must be listed along with the ages, sexes and the exact amount of each species..... Any deaths or sales must be kept track of and fish and game must be notified in a timely manner, for future inspections..... You must get a copy of the license of the person buying any hots from you if they are sold in NY..... Some areas need to have a letter from the fire commitioner acknowledging he or she is awear of what you are keeping..... Proper caging must be used as well..... No all glass aquariums with screen lids..... Expect to be visited by fish and game...... If there is an animal in your possesition that is not listed on the license, say good bye to your license and your entire collection...... Do not lie on your application or they will take away your rights to own hot for good..... Good luck......

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!