Eastern Indigo breeding - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pituophis & Drymarchon Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-31-2006, 12:17 PM   #1
molurusbreedingcente
Eastern Indigo breeding

I had a male at 1.5 years breed attempt and appeared to be hooked up with a 5 year old female!

1 has anyone had a male breed this young?

He is only 3 feet and the female is 5.5 feet and much older and heavy bodied. He had trouble when on top with his head slightly behind the females attempting copulation due to the size difference. I put them in a plastic trash can so they could cruise around and around and that worked for the male did "appear" to copulate for some time. They have only ever been feed mice and rats and appear healthy since the female who normally is gentle saw my fingers in the cage and decided to eat my hand. Possibly the vitamins from my blood will help her produce good eggs!!

My partner in the project has told me repeatedly when he bred eastern indigo's in the 80s that every time they bred he saw a swelling the size of a golf ball just above the females vent. I did not see this and wonder if his male was just related to "John Holmes" or this is present on all "good" copulations. I have never seen this in any colubrid,python etc that I have bred over 30 years of breeding experience but I never bred an indigo so I don't think he made it up.

comments on "proper" pre-natal vitamins,food etc would be appreciated as well as breeding temps- I only dropped mine down to the low 70s in September and October they bred in November.

I understand the eggs need to be incubated "cool" + or - 75 degrees to prevent the kinking of the spine and producing a dwarf.

Anyway they are doing great.

Happy New Years from "Tropical Colorado"

wlamore

Old 01-01-2007, 11:42 PM   #2
molurusbreedingcente
Here are a couple of shots of the breeding male.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...ntop_4_1_1.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...gRed_1_1_1.jpg

Old 01-04-2007, 09:45 PM   #3
monkeywrench133
I don't have any answers for you, but GOOD LUCK!!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!