handling my bearded dragon issues - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-30-2012, 10:12 PM   #1
chexmix27
handling my bearded dragon issues

Hello everyone I have an adult normal bearded dragon I have had her for about 6-7 months I handle her everyday but while I'm holding her I have to make a constant bridge because she tries to run off my hands. As a side note she gets to run around my room so she gets ALOT of exercise . Does she just not want to be held? Is there any suggestions anyone can give me? I do love her very much and just wish I could just sit and relax with her! Hope someone can help. Thanks for reading and have a great day!

Old 11-01-2012, 10:58 PM   #2
angie.h
Hi Leigh....it seems that you've been handling her a lot but she's still a wiggle - worm. Sometimes it's just their personality. You might try holding her somewhat firmly to your chest and just letting her see what a nice warm piece of furniture you are. Sometimes that shocks + settles them down. Hopefully you'll get her to settle down a bit.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:03 PM   #3
chexmix27
Angie... thanks so much! I figured it was just her personality but wasn't sure. I hear all these people saying how calm their beardie is and thought it may just take more time but if its her personality than I cant change that. Thanks for your reply!

Old 11-03-2012, 09:22 AM   #4
chefdragon
Mine is 5 months old and he flys out my hand especially when my kids around. I'm being patient with him though and still holding him few minutes everyday. I'm sure he will come around soon

Old 11-03-2012, 03:09 PM   #5
chexmix27
Thanks for the reply. I hope hope everything works out with you and your bear die! Have a good day

Old 11-03-2012, 03:24 PM   #6
angie.h
Hi Leigh....as far as "taming " a beardie with a nervous or hyper personality, as long as you work with your dragon it can become much calmer, even if it is a relatively flighty critter. What I mentioned about holding the dragon to your chest firmly does usually calm them down, so give that a try. Sometimes they just lose their crazy wiggling get - away maneuvers and look around like " huh, what is this " ? They can get used to being held like that,[ and with minimal scratching of your arms ] and then eventually are more easy to hold in general, even if they remain a bit of a wiggle worm.

Old 11-03-2012, 03:30 PM   #7
chexmix27
Thanks a lot! Great advice and I will do my best!

Old 11-06-2012, 08:43 PM   #8
edrizzle
Try bathing the dragon in a sink of warm water with the water running.

While they are trying to climb out of the sink, hold it so it calms down and you are supporting it from "drowning".

Great way to bond with your beardie and hopefully it will begin to trust you more.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:44 PM   #9
chexmix27
Thanks for your reply

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!