Hand feeding burmese, Risk of being biten. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-22-2008, 01:23 PM   #1
lilkeezy
Hand feeding burmese, Risk of being biten.

How many of you burms owners, Ever gotton biten by your burms?.

Old 02-22-2008, 01:25 PM   #2
lilkeezy
While hand feeding them.

Old 02-22-2008, 01:55 PM   #3
The BoidSmith
Never, but never hand fed him either. I would strongly discourage that practice. Not so long ago I was feeding my incredibly tame blood (4.5 feet) from tongs. Apparently the rat was colder than my hand so he went straight for my hand instead of the rat. He immediately coiled and applied pressure to my arm while holding a firm grip with his teeth on my hand. It took me a few minutes to get him off without hurting his teeth. It's amazing the pressure a 4 footer can exert, just imagine a 10-15 footer! If you still want to do have someone with you to help if need be.

Old 02-22-2008, 02:32 PM   #4
Clay Davenport
You may get by hand feeding it once or twice. You may get by hand feeding it 3 dozen times. You will eventually be bitten doing it though, and being a feeding strike, the potential is real that the bite will be followed by constriction.

I have some 8 foot boas I normally feed off two foot tongs. For a while I just hand fed them, using the door of the cage as a shield. I'd crack the door, lower the rat in and close the door on the tail and let them take it.
One day one of them struck the rat with such force she pushed the door on open, passed by the rat and got most of my hand in her mouth.
Even when you think you have figured a way that is safe you'll still get it eventually.

Old 02-22-2008, 02:37 PM   #5
lilkeezy
I got strike today by my burm, It was my fault, I was holding the mice, And i was trying to get him out the water bowl, and he strike missed and got me, he didnt constricted me, He just strike, and got me.

Old 02-22-2008, 04:24 PM   #6
Nirvana
I don't feed any of my larger snakes off tongs -- big bloods included -- for the reason Boidsmith mentioned. They've just got amazingly powerful strikes, and even with 13" hemostats I'd rather not risk it. Sure, it's not the end of the world to get bitten by a big blood, but it isn't fun either.

I feed my Burm and large bloods by placing their f/t prey on the opposite end of the enclosure from where the snake is, and they eat it off the cage floor. It just feels so much safer to me, especially with the Burm. I can't even imagine trying to let the snake just take food from my hands ... I won't even do that with frogs, let alone something with any kind of strike range!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!