please read - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Adoptions

Notices

Adoptions This section is for people OFFERING animals for adoption. NOT solicitations asking for free animals.

Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 10:37 AM   #1
puertorab
please read

if you can help just help. i foudn this on another website.

Subject: FW: Animal Lovers Please Help!

The West Jersey Animal Shelter is closing at the end of this month. The

Pennsauken, NJ shelter had it's license revoked due to unkept and dangerous conditions for the animals. There are currently 31 dogs and 5 cats on the premises that are in desperate need of adoption. If these animals are not adopted by the end of the month, they will be euthanized.

The West Jersey Animal Shelter is open for adoptions Monday through Friday from 11 a.m. until 4 p.m. and from 11 a.m. until 5 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays. Phone (856) 486-2180.

Even if you can't adopt an animal, please repost this.. ._Eventually it will reach someone who can_... These innocent animals are facing a 'life

or death' situation. Even if only one pet is adopted, that's one life
spared-- and every one makes a difference.

IT DOESN'T MATTER WHERE YOU LIVE; WE ALL HAVE FRIENDS ON OUR E-MAIL LISTS FROM ALL OVER THE USA. *PLEASE, PLEASE* REPOST/ FORWARD THIS MESSAGE TO EVERYONE ON YOUR LIST-- THEY MIGHT KNOW SOMEONE WHO WOULD
LIKE TO HAVE A DOG OR CAT. *EVERY* REPOST COULD SAVE AN ANIMAL'S LIFE.

~THANK YOU FOR CARING~

Old 02-01-2006, 05:36 AM   #2
hhmoore
unfortunately, I think most people would have more than second thoughts and reservations about taking animals from a shelter that is being closed down due to unsuitable/unsafe conditions

Old 02-01-2006, 09:20 AM   #3
puertorab
your right

your right. after i posted this thread i read it carefully and i think they do deserve to be shut down but the animals don't deserve being tossed out into the street or put down no matter what the conditions are. if i could have a pet dog or cat id definitely adopt one but i cant. thats why i posted it on here. but your right, people would think twice about taking in an animal that came from inhabitable conditions at a shelter.

Old 02-01-2006, 09:42 AM   #4
hhmoore
the point being that the health of those animals is hardly guaranteed...and if you already have other animals at home it is a big risk

Old 02-01-2006, 11:49 PM   #5
GuinnyOne
Wow...we are not talking about reptiles here. Just dogs and cats.

Herps, I would consider, to be more likely to carry diseases without necessarily showing any symptoms. Granted, cats and dogs can too. But there is much, much more veterinary knowledge out there with regards to dogs and cats than there is knowledge about herps. And there are many more treatments out there for canine and feline diseases as well.

There are very few animal controls or humane societies out there that can vouch for the long-term health of the animals they are adopting out.

All someone would have to do with one of these shelter animals would be to take it directly to a vet's office and have bloodwork done on it. I believe (but could be wrong) that just about every contagious disease that dogs and cats can carry have testing available.

Any person who adopts a companion animal from a shelter has a big heart. There is no reason that, if they are willing to adopt the animal to care for it for it's lifetime, that they would be unwilling to have it tested before taking it home.

Like I said, we are not talking herps here.

Old 02-02-2006, 02:29 AM   #6
hhmoore
All of that is understood, but it doesn't change the fact that the shelter is being shut down. The conditions cited are somewhat vague, and we do not know the actual wording in the citations...it could be just that the facilities are in poor condition and in need of serious repair, as opposed to being dirty and a health risk (which I admit was my initial interpretation). Also, the fact that they are "JUST DOGS AND CATS" (seems funny to be saying that, even as a quote, lol), does not mean that they cannot transmit disease to our other warm/furries, and they are alot harder to quarantine during treatment.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for getting animals from shelters. Two of my three dogs were adopted.

Old 02-02-2006, 02:45 AM   #7
GuinnyOne
I guess my wording was a bit off when I said "just." My line of thought is that with herps, there are many diseases out there that we either don't know about yet, or know about but do not fully understand. Making it much more difficult and risky to take one into our collections.

I don't mean that I value the lives of my dogs and cats any less than I do my reptiles. In fact, I would not know how to live if it were not for my furries. In fact, I frequenly prefer to sleep with them curled up in bed than my husband LOL.

I think I was just trying to say that even if the shelter had deplorable conditions for the dogs and cats...what would a potential adopter actually be looking at. Yes, the possibility of a meriad of diseases. Parvo, distemper, leukemia, aids, fleas, tapeworm, heartworm, kennel cough...just a few off the top of my head. But almost all of these are treatable if someone was willing to do it. Shoot, one of the *good* shelters in my area adopted a dog to me who was pregnant when she was spayed, had kennel cough, tapeworm, and was covered in fleas....no guarantee on anything there.

Well, I guess that was a long winded response. I do hope there are folks out there with room for these guys as they deserve a chance at a real life. But until people really realize and take to heart that there is NOT room for just one more litter...this is where we stand. (getting off my soap box now).

Old 08-02-2006, 07:10 PM   #8
kat_kies
its sad when the animals pay the price for neglectful people,just when they had another chance out the window it went because of more stupid people.

Old 08-02-2006, 08:24 PM   #9
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
All of that is understood, but it doesn't change the fact that the shelter is being shut down. The conditions cited are somewhat vague, and we do not know the actual wording in the citations...it could be just that the facilities are in poor condition and in need of serious repair, as opposed to being dirty and a health risk (which I admit was my initial interpretation). Also, the fact that they are "JUST DOGS AND CATS" (seems funny to be saying that, even as a quote, lol), does not mean that they cannot transmit disease to our other warm/furries, and they are alot harder to quarantine during treatment.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for getting animals from shelters. Two of my three dogs were adopted.

Im sure the ASPCA or whoevers doing teh shutting down bit, has checked these animals over before adopting them out. they would be Completely liable for any sick animals theyre adopting out just at random. So im POSTITIVE theyre checking these guys as they go. I have complete faith that these animals are safe to adopt and anything that is wrong with them will be noted on its papers.

Ill check the place out. Maybe we can take in another cat. I certainly know Muta Would kill me ( our current cat) but im sure we can work it out with the little one. Ill Forward this to anyone i know thats looking as well.

I wish all these little ones the best of luck!

Old 08-02-2006, 08:28 PM   #10
hhmoore
don't go too crazy forwarding the info - the initial post was 6 months ago. Most likely, any action that was being taken took place months ago; and the animals were fostered, adopted, transferred, or euthanized.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Closed Thread