Black Bellied Boa - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-29-2005, 05:11 PM   #11
atomicgrrl
Actually, someone has produced an all black boa. I forget the website, but I'll try and find it.

Old 05-29-2005, 05:54 PM   #12
The BoidSmith
The question would be if it’s a pure BCI or a crossbred.

Regards.

Old 05-29-2005, 05:59 PM   #13
kiote9
IF it is a Melanogaster it would be a BCC. Probably is a cross though. I really don't know of any way to tell the difference.

Old 05-29-2005, 06:31 PM   #14
kiote9
This was considered to be the defining factors of the Melanogaster before they decided it was just a BCC.

A New Subspecies of
Boa Constrictor,

Boa constrictor
melanogaster,

from Ecuador
(Serpentes: Boidae)

BY JAMES K. LANGHAMMER
Detroit Zoological Park
P.O. Box 39, Royal Oak, Michigan 48068

(http://www.boa-subspecies.com/subspe...lanogaster.htm)

Diagnosis.-Boa constrictor melanogaster has the smallest and the most numerous dorsal body scales of all the conspecifics, ranging from 86-94 in circumferential count. The dorsal pattern between head and anus consists of 20-21 dark blotches or saddles that at their narrowest (usually the tenth blotch behind the head) are typically only 4-7 scale lengths long at midbody (Fig. 3). These dorsal body blotches are usually very dark blackish brown on a gray to pale yellow ground and typically show no light-colored centers in the area dorsal to the vertebral column. Shortly before the anus, the dorsal blotches become elongate and are almost circular in outline on the tail. These posterior dorsal blotches and their lateral counterparts are usually black-bordered with mahogany-red centers. The cream-colored ventral surface in juveniles is uniformly black-spotted overall; however, the black spots expand and coalesce as individuals grow until the adult animal is characterized by an almost uniformly black venter (Fig. 2), especially posteriorly. In very large specimens (3 meters and above), the dorsum also is invaded by black and the animal may appear melanistic overall.

Description of the holotype (Figs. 1, 2, and 3).-UMMZ 172680 is an adult female of total length 233 cm and has a complete tail. Circumferentially there are 72 neck scales, 94 scales at the level of the tenth dark dorsal blotch behind the head, and 45 scales at the anus. There are 244 ventral scutes and 49 subcaudals. The tenth dark dorsal blotch is 5 scale lengths long at its narrowest transect.

[ Holotype. -Adult female, University of Michigan Museum of Zoology (UMMZ) 172680, total length 233 cm. Collected by Jivaro Indians in December, 1968, near the Rio Yaupi Catholic Mission upstream from the Rio Santiago in the Morona Santiago province of Ecuador. ]

Old 05-29-2005, 07:17 PM   #15
robin d.
i would contact gus @ riobravoreptiles.com ... he may need a full shed and some other info but he may be able to give you a better idea of what this animal might be, also kevin and charolette barnett @ ectothermics.com and vin russo @ cutting edge herps

Old 05-29-2005, 07:53 PM   #16
kiote9
Thank you Robin! I already emailed Vin Russo, but hadn't considered the other people.

I spoke with someone earlier today who HAD a male, but it died last year.

He is in shed right now and hopefully he doesn't tear it up.

Old 05-29-2005, 08:16 PM   #17
robin d.
yeah if its a good clean shed email gus and see what he has to say... he might want you to see it (mail it to him) we is weird like that
the freshed the better... if it is fresh try to unroll is so it does not tear.

Old 06-04-2005, 12:59 PM   #18
kiote9
Quote:
Originally Posted by The BoidSmith
Shelly,

Do you have by any chance a close-up picture of his head?

Thanks.

He finally shed. I measured him for real after realizing just how long the shed was and he is actually 8'5"! He does weigh 28 lbs. I checked his shed against a chart that listed scale counts and skin patterns and he comes out between the description for BC Melanogaster and BCC.

He is so pretty! Look at that tail!

Old 06-04-2005, 02:05 PM   #19
The BoidSmith
He is really very pretty. Now you are in the quest for a female! Is that the length of his body or of the shed?

Regards

Old 06-04-2005, 05:16 PM   #20
kiote9
That is the length of his body. I knew he was over 7', just not how much until now!

Yes, I am looking for a girl for him. I'm picking up a female Colombian tomorrow that will be big enough to breed him, but I'd really like to find another black belly.

I couldn't measure the shed because it isn't in the greatest shape. His tail piece was separate and a small piece stuck on the back of his head. That and assorted separations in the shed from me trying to unroll it too fast.

I'm very impressed with how beautiful this snake is! I need to get him outside to get a nice pic in the sun!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!