Sugar Gliders - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Mammals > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Mammals.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:17 PM   #31
TacoTheFaco
Quote:
I had been looking at Sugars some time ago, made a few inquiries, but lost interest when a breeder tried to force me to buy TWO (saying that they can't be sold singly) when I only wanted one.
I don't have any experience with only one glider, but I have had a glider self mutilate from being alone. I had one colony already and I found a neutered male that needed to be rehomed. I had him for maybe 3 days before he started to overgroom and pull his fur out (he was unhandable, which may have contributed to how fast he became depressed). He stopped sleeping and hung out on the bottom of his cage, whenever he heard a noise or saw me walk up to his cage he would fling him self around and throw his arms up in the air. In a desperate attempt to make him more comfortable I put one of my girls in with him, and it worked. Eventually all 4 were living together.

I only had him for about a month before he died. The others went to the vet and were all healthy, so I really think the stress of a new home and being away from his colony got to him. He was 6 years old.

With joeys its a different story. My first glider was kept singly in a TINY cage, and he was and still is the happiest little guy I have! He also has the nicest fur, which is a mystery since his first home fed him hamster food. He also had many hours of out of cage time, which probably kept him from becoming depressed.

If you still want a glider, try to find a local breeder. They will make exceptions to their rules if you can meet face to face and they really get to know you. They are AWESOME pets.

As for diet, since it's been talked about, I feed Leadbeater's Mix in combo with Reliable Protein Products Insectivore Diet. I did feed BML, since it seemed a highly recommended diet with easy to obtain ingredients, but my vet said the only diet she can back up is Leadbeater's. She's done extensive research on sugar gliders, has been to Australia a couple times, so I trust her way more than the biddies on any board who say sugar gliders are 'still a mystery'. I am not bashing any diet, I know many people who feed BML, HPW, and even their own versions of Leadbeater's/BML and have had awesome results, I just found a diet that works for me and my gang .

The glider community is also extremely close knit, which is good and bad. Good in that if you make friends with the top breeders, you're friends with everyone. Bad in that if you make one enemy, you can never redeem yourself. I have made friends with breeders and owners, and every single one of them only uses the boards to advertize their joeys or cage accessories because it's so bad. I stopped going on all together. Even though most people I encountered were comepletly moderate, the ones who were intense were also incredible loud, and oftentimes had many followers who would flock to their side or change their opinions because of them.

Old 12-09-2010, 01:57 PM   #32
SilverRaichu
Quote:
I had been looking at Sugars some time ago, made a few inquiries, but lost interest when a breeder tried to force me to buy TWO (saying that they can't be sold singly) when I only wanted one.
Sugar gliders should NOT be kept single, no matter what breeder you go to a good breeder will not let you buy just one. Sugar gliders are bonding animals. Even if you can spend a lot of time with them they need another one of them around to groom, sleep with, and play with at all times. If you had bought just one then you would have a very stressed out sugar glider who would self mutilate himself and will eventually die on you.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:46 AM   #33
KristopherDeRose
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRaichu View Post
Sugar gliders should NOT be kept single, no matter what breeder you go to a good breeder will not let you buy just one. Sugar gliders are bonding animals. Even if you can spend a lot of time with them they need another one of them around to groom, sleep with, and play with at all times. If you had bought just one then you would have a very stressed out sugar glider who would self mutilate himself and will eventually die on you.
If you have the time to spend with it 5 hours a day they are fine but no not all single gliders get stressed out and self mutilate and die. thats a little over drastic. I have bred them for almost 9 years so yes i would advise getting a friend but at the same time I have had singles that were single and then I tried to put them with other gliders and they just wanted to live alone

Old 12-13-2010, 04:42 PM   #34
Sirengarg
Someone posted a picture of a sugar glider that their friend owns on my FB and its nails are disgustingly long!!!! Curled right around I made a comment it needs its nails cut bad, hopefully they will or get someone to do it.

I had one when I was younger, its tough to cut nails on them, due to their size, but not impossible. Simply no excuse for it

Old 12-13-2010, 04:44 PM   #35
Sirengarg
Here it is:

Old 10-26-2011, 11:22 AM   #36
jeffsugarglider
Thumbs up

Sugar glider info refers to the most basic details about sugar glider pets. It is important to know the origin of these animals and the type of habitat they are used to. This is necessary to understand their basic needs. There are different ways to breed sugar gliders but the initial steps always involve having proper awareness, education or understanding of the most common information about these exotic animals. By starting on the right foot, you can be sure of the good development of your pet. More importantly, you can share what you know to people who want to become glider owners.

sugar-glider-info
sugar-glider-breeding

Old 05-16-2016, 11:56 PM   #37
Qualitygeckos
Mylittlesugarglider.com

I have nearly 20 years experience and do have some pdf files on care if you want to write me for them.

Danielle G.
USDA Breeder

Old 05-27-2016, 03:52 PM   #38
mechnut450
Lucille you want info and some help just text ,message me lol I have 9 currently. but good places are glidercentral.net ( like stated before ) there also plenty of facebook groups too I know i am a member of a rescue group and such.

Old 12-23-2016, 02:28 AM   #39
Sugarhedgie
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristopherDeRose View Post
I have a bunch of gliders for sale im going to tx on friday dallas to be exact and can bring some with me many colors
Hi Kris

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!