Considering a parakeet once again. - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Birds > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Birds.

Old 12-28-2005, 06:57 PM   #11
Lucille
Some people have different thoughts about grit

http://www.avidpets.com/Parrots/budgerigar.htm

Old 12-28-2005, 07:06 PM   #12
old guy
grit is for

still on hulled seed. Most birdseed for domestic birds bought over the counter is cracked hulled or hulless. At least when raised budgies it was.

Old 12-28-2005, 07:14 PM   #13
Shinjite
I will SPJ. I hope that I can go out and get supplies tomorrow or Friday, and get the parakeet the next day. So I can set up the cage and make sure everything is set for him. I'll take some pics as soon as he's settled in.
I just got the book on parakeets. It's An Owner's Guide to a Happy Healthy Pet--The Budgie. I took a look at the cages the parakeets were in, and to my surprise they were clean and well cared for! (Then again, they aren't reptiles, so of course they're going to be cared for. *sarcasm*) But they didn't have any albinos. Fortunately, I know a place where they do have albinos! Or at least they did last time I was there. At Emerald square mall in attelborough (sp?) mass., they had an albino parakeet in the small pet store there. (Too bad their leos are on sand. But at least it's not calci sand!) Anyway, I'm printing out the checklist I made on my dad's new printer and hopefully going out sometime soon to get supplies. Wish me luck with my parakeet! ^_^ I hope he friendly and learns to whistle and talk. I almost got peeper to say hello before he passed away...he said more of an "ewo". (Eh-woa) LOL! It was the cutest thing! I'll never forget him...he was my first animal with scales.

Old 12-28-2005, 07:42 PM   #14
Shinjite
I just read the page you posted Lucille. Maybe I should hold off on the grit? What do you think?

Old 12-28-2005, 07:48 PM   #15
Shinjite
Ok, I just got the check list I made printed. Now just to find someone who'll drive me to petco. Maybe my grandpa has the day off...I'll ask around.

Old 12-28-2005, 09:17 PM   #16
Karen Hulvey
Lucille's info is right on. Grit is unnecessary for hookbill birds, i.e. birds that hull their seeds. Grit is for birds who do not hull seeds such as doves, it helps them grind the seed down.

Old 12-29-2005, 12:01 AM   #17
Shinjite
Ok. I won't get grit then. (Even the book I got said that if you use grit, only use a pinch of it every few weeks.)

Old 12-29-2005, 10:43 AM   #18
Shinjite
Today I hoppe to go out and buy supplies. And then maybe tomorrow or the next day I'll go and get a parakeet. I even picked out some names.
Azure--Latin-bluish color (only if I get a blue one...but that's unlikely)
Cigala--Native American-Little one.
Gryphon--Greek-Mythological Beast
Sanyu--Japanese-Happiness
Satu--Japanese-Fairytale
Wing--Chinese-Glory
Zhi--Chinese-Wisdom, Healing
Which one do you like best?

Old 12-30-2005, 07:57 AM   #19
Shinjite
I've chosen a name now. Wing will be the parakeet's name.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!