Help - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Mammals > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Mammals.

Old 08-13-2006, 04:08 PM   #1
kat_kies
Question Help

my sis had a 8 month old german shepard dropped on her by a cousin, the dog has had at least 4 homes before her.He was almost starved to death does anyone have any ideas to help put some weight back on this guy?

Old 08-13-2006, 04:53 PM   #2
DAND
A good puppy food. Make sure she doesn't over feed it though. Better to have it gradually gain weight than try to power feed it. I'd go by the recommendations on the bag.

Old 08-13-2006, 10:46 PM   #3
techgirl
A good puppy food is the way to go. As Dan said, don't overfeed or you will run into other problems. A biscuit here and there is ok but don't make it an everyday thing. Definitely don't add people food to the diet. Now I mean to not mix it in as part of the diet. I admit I do give my dogs a piece of banana or fruit, veggies as an occassional treat. Good luck with the pup.

Old 08-13-2006, 10:47 PM   #4
techgirl
By the way, why 4 homes already by the age of 8 months? Just curious.

Old 08-14-2006, 03:17 PM   #5
kat_kies
the first lady bought him on impulse not realizing how much time a german shepard puppy takes or how much they eat,she didn't do her homework,then my cousin took him and her son was beating on him and she wasn't feeding him due to money issues then her sister my other cuz took him and her husband didn't want him so he was locked in a horse trailer with no food or water.then he went to another lady for awhile and returned back to the horse trailer so she called my sister who was going to take him but was worried because it sounded funny thatno oe wanted this papered german shepard who was supposed to be sooo nice so she called her and told her she didn't want him because ofthe danger it could pose on her kids.well the next day my cuz just dropped him off while my sister was in town but luckily the dog is a really nice dog he just is super skinny right now.My sister and her husband has started giving him some obedience training and is doing alot better with just some love and care..

Old 08-14-2006, 03:19 PM   #6
kat_kies
thanks guys i have already warned her about table food and she has gone and got him on a good dog food it was a little exspensive but he is worth it and has great potential to be an outstanding dog.

Old 08-14-2006, 03:28 PM   #7
Mooing Tricycle
im glad hes now got a lasting "forever home" ^_^ lets hope this little pup does well from now on!

Old 08-14-2006, 09:40 PM   #8
Cat_72
I would be sure to take him in to the vet for his shots, a good worming, and a heartworm test as well. With the conditions he's been living in, worms are a very distinct possibility, as could be heartworm from the time he's spent outside, assuming if he hasn't been fed, he hasn't been on any kind of heartworm preventative either. If he has worms, it will be that much more difficult to put weight on him and get him healthy again as well.

Good luck with him!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!