Gun people need help - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 02-03-2008, 01:56 PM   #1
Gary O
Gun people need help

Ok long story short I found a gun in the house I bought.

Ruger .22 Cal Single-Six Revolver

I got it appraised and the guy at the gun shop (The best around NW Ohio) said it is clean and worth about 375 bucks.

Now I want to sell or trade it for snakes. But is it legal for me to ship this? the gun is celan meaning it is not in any robberies. I found it loaded though lol. I have never fired.

http://www.clelands.com/

That is the place I took it.

So can I ship this via Fed Ex? is that legal?

It is a blued finish too I believe. He said if the gun was one year newer it would be worth twice as much something about the little gaurd on the right side of the gun where you can load it needs to be smaller.

Old 02-03-2008, 02:27 PM   #2
Lucille
Gary when I've had guns shipped my way I've had them shipped to a local person with a FFL and picked them up from him.

Here is an article I found:
http://www.gunsamerica.com/GunShippingGuide.htm

I'm sure you will get more experienced answers than mine, but that is how I have had my guns sent.

Old 02-03-2008, 03:05 PM   #3
Gary O
Looks like I can not ship it. But I still might put it up for trade and do something local.

The guy at Clelands said he would not move it fast enough for him to buy it. I said cool. I just do not want to break laws trading it off lol

Old 02-03-2008, 06:21 PM   #4
WebSlave
Last time I checked handguns needed to be shipped via overnight using UPS and MUST go to a FFL holder. Some receiving FFL holders require that you use a FFL holder to ship to them, but that is not required by law.

For more info, check out this website -> http://www.thegunzone.com/ship-guns.html

In some locales, you cannot sell person to person without having a FFL holder get in the middle of the transaction (for a fee, of course), so check your local laws. If you have any local gunshows, that might be the best place to take the gun in order to sell it. Bear in mind that none of the dealers there will give you much for it. They will try to talk it down and make it appear to be worthless so they can buy it for a song and then put a high value on it.

One thing to bear in mind is that you cannot knowingly sell a gun to someone who is a resident outside of your state, and also that you would reasonably expect to be a felon. If you have never looked into it before, you will probably be bewildered by the number of laws you may be subject to now in trying to dispose of that gun.

Good luck!

Old 02-03-2008, 10:37 PM   #5
SPJ
Before you attempt to sell it, have you contacted the previous owner of the house to see if it was left by mistake?

Old 02-03-2008, 10:49 PM   #6
Gary O
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPJ
Before you attempt to sell it, have you contacted the previous owner of the house to see if it was left by mistake?

The person that lived here passed away. The family is friends of my family. When I contacted them they had no interest in it at all. They said do as I wish. They also said there might be another gun here but I can not find it at all lmao.

Thanks Rich for all that info. I thought selling snakes was bad lol.

Old 02-03-2008, 10:59 PM   #7
SPJ
OK. Didn't want you to get in trouble selling a gun that someone might have wanted.
Good Luck.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:51 PM   #8
morphrancher
In my state you can do face-to-face transactions with no restrictions.

To ship interstate it becomes a federal issue and requires the gun go an FFL holder who can do the background check.

Or you can stake your chances shipping it directly. I imagine the penalty might be a bit on the stiff side if you get caught.

BTW, a Ruger Single Six in .22 is probably not going to bring $375 in a private party sale.

That's a good, safe gun for home defense. It's not going to have the one shot stopping power of a larger caliber gun but assuming you practice, especially on cycling the action between shots, it beats the heck out of nothing. I'd hold onto it with the current political and economic client.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!